Water? That’ll be $20,000, please

Stacks of assorted US paper currency
Getty Images
Stacks of assorted US paper currency

The ASCC Senate recently voted to allocate $20, 000 of school funds into the placing of five hydration stations throughout the Cerritos College campus.

The actual cost of the stations over time is still vague and whether the students will actually use the stations is uncertain.

Though it is a seemingly good idea to provide fresh, clean water to students on campus, the cost is somewhat ridiculous.

The life expectancy of the stations was not included in the approved plans. This means that the cost of these five stations could be substantially greater over time.

It was stated that these five stations would replace water fountains already in place on campus.

It is unclear if these stations will replace all water fountains or where they are going to be placed.

My greatest concern with this, and many of the topics that cross the senate floor, is that there aren’t enough questions being asked.

If the school is going to invest as much as $20,000 into something, every last detail should be worked out before being approved.

The approval of something without full certainty in its details shows reckless and impulsive voting by the senate.

Money in general is not to be taken lightly, let alone when it funds something that may not be a high priority.

I’m not saying that the hydration stations are a bad idea. The idea that students would have access to clean, filtered water is something worth discussing.

We do live in Southern California after all, where it can be 80 degrees fahrenheit in the middle of winter.

The hydration stations would be useful all-year round.

I feel that there are options for keeping students hydrated that would be less costly and last longer.

Perhaps if the school just maintained the water fountains that we already had in place there would not be cause for these hydration stations.

Another solution that could not only save the school money but maybe turn a small profit, would be to simply put in a few more vending machines containing cold, bottled water.

I don’t see the need to spend $20,000 on five stations for filtered water, though I do see a need for students to have more access to clean drinking water. I bring my own water and coffee with me to school every day.

Other students should also try to bring their own bottled water, thus saving their own money and the school’s money.

If a student will fork out five bucks for a coffee at the Zebra cafe, I think a dollar for a bottle of water is attainable.

Amanda Del Cid, Social Media Editor
Amanda Del Cid, 20 years old. 
Current Social Media Editor of Talon Marks. 
Previously EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural  Literary magazine, and Co EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural news paper.
Played two seasons on the Cerritos College Tennis team.
Catch me around campus, we love to here from students and readers.
Follow at
Twitter: @delmanda94