Run for office flames up

With the United States presidential race heating up, it should come to no surprise that some of the stranger candidates have started to emerge; in 2012 a man under the name of Vermin Supreme ran for president under the Pony Party.

This year, Juaquin James Malphurs, better known as the rapper Waka Flocka Flame, has continued the trend by officially signing paperwork to participate in the 2016 election. While this may seem like a joke, it is something that he has all intentions of doing, something that any other legal citizen can do.

Now, make all the jokes you want, but not only is Flame keeping a promise he made two years ago on his Twitter page, but it can be an important lesson for citizens.

Flame wishes to see change in the government and if he doesn’t like how others are carrying out, he wishes to take matters into his own hands.

It is encouraging to see citizens rise up to create change, even if those citizens wish to outlaw dogs in restaurants, require their lyrics to be taught in schools, and require that people with size 13 shoes only take public transportation to avoid taking up the space of the sidewalk.

People can protest, petition, or vote for change, but any citizen who meets the standards to run can do it. You can make your own political party, create your own platform, and in Flame’s case, petition around to get enough signatures to be put on the ballot for the Georgia primary.

Flame won’t win the presidency, but he might just make it to the Georgia primary and may get more votes than expected, as he does not meet the age requirement to become U.S. president.

He officially announced his run on “[his] favorite day,” April 20th (also known as the stoner holiday of 420), by scheduling a video interview with Rolling Stone magazine, and smoking the “presidential kush” (the whole interview can be viewed here).

Look, no one said he was a perfect candidate.

Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.