Keeping it fresh: ‘The Jungle Book’ sure to not disappoint

Disney turning popular animated films to live-action films creates curiosity and that curiosity will create success.

The past few years Disney has turned successful animated films into successful live-action films, and that won’t be any different with “The Jungle Book.”

In 2010, “Alice in Wonderland” was turned into a larger-than-life spectacle, starring Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway, that ended up grossing over $1 billion as of this year.

Since then, other movies have been made, although, they haven’t been as successful.

Angelina Jolie starred in “Maleficent” that made over $750 million.

This year’s “Cinderella” made over $500 million.

However, with “The Jungle Book” having Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Scarlett Johansson and Christopher Walken, to name just a few of the big actors, a star-studded cast is sure to bring a lot of money for Disney.

Many people already know about “The Jungle Book” and have seen the animated film.

That alone should bring interest to the film, but there are other reasons why the film will be successful.

As mentioned above, the cast is full of well known names that have been involved in other successful films and projects respectively.

“The Jungle Book” cast members have been in movies such as “Ghostbusters,” “Schindler’s List” and “The Avengers,” thus making this Disney film even bigger.

Another reason why the film will be a success is because of the storytelling.

Disney is synonymous for staying true to the classics, but are always able to make the stories evolve.

With “Maleficent,” they told the story of the sleeping beauty, but they changed some parts, including the end to keep the film, which kept it fresh and kept the audience surprised.

In the trailer for “The Jungle Book,” it is revealed that Johansson will play the snake in the film, when in the animated film it is a male.

By changing the gender, the character has been adapted to have a more feminine and sensual voice than it already was and it builds for a more suspenseful story.

As of now only “The Jungle Book” has promise to be a success for Disney, as for any other adaptations, they have a chance to be as big, if not bigger than their predecessors.

Ethan Ortiz
Ethan Ortiz, Editor in Chief
Hi! My name is Ethan and I am serving as the Editor-In-Chief for the Fall 2016 semester. I am a journalism major and love to write stories for the newspaper. In addition to writing hard hitting news, I like to create fictional stories on the side. I am co-hosting a radio show on WPMD at Cerritos College called "Beyond the Ropes" happening Wednesday at 11am. I like to listen different music, mostly Rock/Alternative and some of my favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, and Metallica. If you want to know more about me feel free to tweet me at @EthanEnvy95.