Nobody puts the budget in the corner

Photo credit: Carlos Marquez

It’s no secret that there is a severe lack of student involvement at Cerritos College and even less of a shock, is the lack of knowledge among the students of what actually goes on on campus.

This includes things like special workshops, forums, and even the inner workings of student government.

Students may not know that the budget for school clubs, athletics and other student activity related organizations has yet to be finalized, which is something that should have been done at the end of the last school year.

However, due to the lack of prioritizing by the previous ASCC Senate, the budget could not be finalized and approved for the 2016-17 school year.

According to the ASCC Student Government page on the Cerritos College website, “The ASCC, with the support of the Board of Trustees, provides for a student government that finances, organizes, and directs a variety of programs that enhance the quality of student life at Cerritos College.”

This is the mission statement and sworn duties of the elected officials, all of which were neglected and disregarded to handle petty, internal quarrels that had no direct effect or involvement to the student body.

During the last ASCC Senate meeting, the Senate was given an hour to discuss section three of the budget and have it finalized.

The chair allowed senators to speak and give reports. At that time, certain members of the senate pointed out the disrespectful nature in which former ASCC President Eddie De La Rosa had toward former Vice President Jessica Germata.

This was highly unprofessional, not to mention outright unacceptable behavior considering the budget was pending.

As a result of this decision, the budget and other items were unable to be addressed.

To add insult to injury, the minutes for that meeting were recorded but lost in the memory of a faulty computer, so there is no record of any meetings taking place and what was addressed.

The only ones that suffer now are the student organizations here on campus.

Now forced to work with with the approved budget for 2015-2016, student organizations may be forced to vacate any plans they had set for this year.

This may include any events, workshops or trips that had been planned.

The students have been through enough.

The newly elected ASCC President and Vice President need to have a firm grip on their priorities.

As soon as the senate can convene they should move swiftly and appropriately to get this budget approved and adopted.

For those who intend to run for student government, should self-reflect and think if they are able to handle the politics and drama that come with being involved in student government.

Personal issues and internal strife need to be left out of any professional setting and be handled behind closed doors.

Future members should reach out to students more so there is a transparency between student government and student body.

There shouldn’t be a divide, or an “us v. them” feeling.

Students should feel comfortable going to a student leader, or attending a meeting so they can express their thoughts and concerns.

In turn, students should be informed of what is going on in the school.

With elections just around the corner, it is important to realize that those who are elected are going to make decisions that will benefit and represent the entirety of the student body.

When the candidates advertise themselves around campus asking for votes, students must take a minute and listen.

Don’t vote for the sake of voting.

If one cares and is involved one must educate oneself to make an informed decision that can serve the student body.

It’s time for this school to come together as one entity that looks out for each other.

Once ASCC resumes its duties, it should focus on prioritizing issues that affect who they represent.

A stronger effort should be made to minimize the gap between students and their representatives to become effective.

Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.