Women’s swimming ready for state championships

The women’s swim team looks to channel the same energy they had at the South Conference Championships this weekend for State Championships.

After a three day span at the South Conference Championships, women’s swimming team received first and second place, the team is prepared for the upcoming State Championships.

The three day road trip at Chaffey College ended with the women’s swimming team getting first place and second place on April 18-20 respectively.

The team is looking to ride that momentum for the State Championships that take place April 25-27 at East Los Angeles College.

“Our team was exceptional. I’m proud of the way the team swam,” said head coach Sergio Macias. “(The swimmers are) hoping to improve their times individually and for relays this weekend.”

Among the swimmers who have qualified for the State Championships are freshman Raquel Gabayeron, her sister sophomore Katherine Gabayeron, and freshman backstroke swimmer Carla Harvey.

Harvey finished in second place for her 100-yard backstroke on the third day of the SCC championships with a time of 1:01.29 which helped the Falcons get second place with 591.5 points.

“We did awesome. A lot of people dropped times,” said Harvey recalling the SCC championships.

Harvey added about the upcoming State Championships, “Last year the team only had two people going. Now this year we have three relays and a few individuals so I feel it’s going to be a good meet.”

The team knows it’s time look ahead and feels prepared for the challenge.

“We’re prepared for it,” said freshman Milena Hernandez. “We have been training all this season and we have been doing pretty well.”

Freshman Angela Covarrubias added, “Our goal is to simply go out there, swim hard and get that medal.”

Denny Cristales
Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).