Solid performance at state ends men’s swim season

The men’s swim season finished up after a good effort at State Championships that had members of the team break school records.

Freshman Joshua Owens was one of four swimmers on the relay team that broke a school record on the final day of State Championships on April 27, ending the men’s swimming season on a positive note.

The 400-yard freestyle relay team finished with a time of 3:10.59 and the Falcons came in 17th place overall in the State Championships at East Los Angeles College that took place April 25 to April 27.

“We performed well together and swam our best,” Owens said, “Our guys stepped up and swam hard all three days.”

Head coach Joe Abing praised the team’s performance and was proud of the improvement on the team’s swimming times.

“We had a great performance at state,” he said, “We were able to drop a little more time. It was a nice experience for the six guys that qualified.”

The end of the State Championships marks the end of the men’s swimming season and Abing was pleased with team’s consistency throughout the season.

“Our team had a successful season. (The swimmers) swam their lifetime best times,” he said, “You can’t ask for much more than that. (The team) broke three school records which was nice. Many of the guys on the team are freshman, so we are hoping to have an even stronger unit next year.”

The team will indeed remain unchanged for the most part next season, however improvement is imminent over time.

“It went by extremely fast,” Owens added regarding his thoughts on the swim season.

“I don’t think we clicked until halfway through the season. Individually, I set my goals high so I didn’t quite get there yet. There’s always room for improvement so next year will be interesting.”

Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).