Men’s Soccer wins opener

Sophomore Yoni Garcia darts down the side line as he sparks the attack against Rio Hondo’s net. Right Winger Garcia was crucial in supplying the center striker with crossed balls from the outside ranges of the goal mouth. (Sebastian Echeverry/TM)

Men’s soccer head coach Benny Artiaga was content with the team’s 1-0 win against Rio Hondo College at home (Cerritos College) on Tuesday, Aug. 27.

“When your team still comes out on top, that’s the type of team that shows a lot of character,” head coach Artiaga commented on his team’s performance.

With a less than perfect match by coach Artiaga’s standards, the Cerritos College’s soccer team started off slowly but ended up taking the win.

“In the second half, I thought we did a much better job of controlling the tempo of the game which puts me a little bit at ease,” Artiaga said.

Even though they won, coach Artiaga made it very apparent that he wasn’t satisfied with his team’s overall plays. However, he’s more than willing to accept the victory.

You have to establish their (the opposing team’s) defense,” sophomore midfielder Jose Espinoza said. “As the game progresses, you begin to find their offense. Everything starts from the bottom to the top.”

Although Cerritos’ team didn’t win to the degree it wanted to, it learned how to incorporate new strategies from this game.

“It’s our first game, so things are always going to be shaky, offensively and defensively,” freshman defender Ricardo Covarrubias said. “We could have improved on top offensively and we could have put in more goals on the net.”

Men’s soccer continues its season this weekend with games at the Hartnell Tournament.

Andrew Casillas
Andrew Casillas, Arts Editor
Hello, my name is Andrew R. Casillas. I’m a staff writer at the current age of 19. I have many hobbies, which I feel make me a somewhat well rounded person. Some of those hobbies are, dancing, singing, playing video games, and mainly song writing and making music. I’m a very personable person and have volunteered at the Presbyterian Hospital & the YMCA of Greater Whittier. After volunteering at the YMCA for a few months I landed a job there as a hip-hop/breakdance instructor which proves that I can dance and am friendly! To speak a little more about myself I am a big believer in integrity and self-discipline which I feel can make me a great writer and staff writer!