Sophomore night ends season for volleyball

Outside hitter Jasmynne Roberts goes for the kill against Los Angeles Harbor College.Photo credit: Gustavo Olguin.

Middle blocker Chelsea James and Libero Ashley Castro were able to end their Cerritos College volleyball careers by winning in straight sets on sophomore night against Los Angeles Harbor College on Wednesday, Nov. 20.

“I feel blessed that I got to play two years here and it was a great experience. Our facility is really good and, as a Falcon, I’m proud to have played here,” James said after the emotional victory.

The team presented flowers and gifts to the two sophomores and embraced them both after the game was over.

“I feel kind of sad, but it was a great season. We did good and I did what I had to do. I just wish the girls luck next year,” Castro said.

The Falcons came out relaxed and seemed to be having fun throughout the game and LA Harbor was able to keep the game close.

“I actually liked it. Yeah we messed around a little, but we pulled ourselves together and had fun for the last game,” Castro said.

Los Angeles Harbor College took Cerritos College to the wire in the second game and lost the match 26-24, with both teams going back and forth with the lead.

“The first game we played really (well). The second game (LA Harbor) started playing better and the (Cerritos College players) probably just wanted to finish the game,” head coach Teresa Ortega said.

The team finished 9-13 overall and 6-8 in conference matches, but Ortega felt that the women played well even though they missed the playoffs.

“Overall I would say we were close every single game and hopefully next year, with the experience that they already got, the (women) are going to be stronger,” Ortega said.

Although the team had a losing record this year, the future looks bright for next year’s team.

“The potential is there. We have most of the (women) and we have strong outside hitters. We are only losing one player, besides the two sophomores, because she is going to transfer,” Ortega said.

The two sophomores that are leaving feel that the team will only get better next year and have high expectations of next year’s team.

“I think that they can take it. They played together this year and they shouldn’t have that many new people next year. They should be ready,” Castro said.

James backs her fellow sophomore’s comment and said, “I think it looks good. We always have good recruits and we have a brand new gym. It’s going to push us forward to getting a great team.”

Gustavo Olguin
Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
My name Gustavo Olguin and I am currently the managing editor at Talonmarks at Cerritos College. Interested in sports and working in front of the camera as a reporter. I'm majoring in journalism and transferring in the Fall of 2014. This is my last semester with Talon Marks and Cerritos College, so if you don't know my face by now, I have failed you.