No. 1 conferences collide in men’s basketball match-up

A “scrappy” Pasadena City College team awaits the Cerritos College men’s basketball team, as it will be a battle of the No. 1 seeds in their respective conferences when the two teams collide in an away contest on Wednesday, Jan. 29.

Sophomore guard Victor Jones expects a physical and tenacious match when the two teams face-off.

“We’ve been practicing a lot of plays. We’re preparing for a war; we’re preparing by utilizing boxing out drills and making sure we get all the rebounds; Things of that nature.”

The men’s basketball team has a 12-8 overall record and a 5-1 conference record, the No. 1 slot in the Southwest Conference.

Jones said, “We’re in first place, right now. We just want to be in the driver seat and control our own destiny.”

Pasadena City College is No. 1 in its own conference, as well, with a 16-5 record.

“It’s a good challenge for (the team),” Head coach Russ May. “We want to be prepared and play well. We have to keep (the Cerritos College team) in first place, too.”

Sophomore shooting guard Jordan Reise notes that Pasadena City College’s strongest points are at the guard and center position, and exposing the flaws and limiting the opportunities from those two positions will prove to be fruitful.

“It’s a matter of going over our sets, going over our defensive principles and our overall offense for this next game.

“Everyday we’re getting better.”

Getting rest and having the mentality portion of the game in check is essential to the team’s performance. It’s important to start “peaking at the right time,” according to May.

May also emphasized discipline. With the opposing squad serving as a challenge, the men’s team cannot allow itself to be overwhelmed.

It’s been doing a good job facilitating, that.

“We try to treat every game the same; respect, all, but fear, none. Mentally, (the whole team) is buying in, so I’m excited with what the team is going to do.”

Game time is 5 p.m.

Denny Cristales
Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).