Falcons defeat Seahawks by Mercy rule

Falcons outfielder Roxanna Jensen connects on her three run home run on March 4 against Harbor. Photo credit: Mario Jimenez

The Cerritos College softball team routed the visiting Los Angeles Harbor College Seahawks by a final of 14-1, after 5 innings via the mercy rule on March 4.

The Falcons used the long ball to put up 14 runs on this day. Several Falcons had big days at the plate, freshmen right fielder Roxanna Jensen is one of them. Jensen had one hit and three walks in four at-bats, the one lone hit was a line drive three run home run over the right field wall that doubled the Falcons lead at the time putting them up 7-1.

After the game Jensen talks about how she felt about hitting a home run, “I feel pretty excited it’s my first home run and it’s the first time that I got to bat this year, so it’s pretty good to hit a home run right off the bat.”, said Jensen.

Jensen concludes by giving kudos to her teammates and coaches for accepting her with open arms as she made her transition to coming to California from Montana.

Sophomore shortstop Stephanie Olivas had a big day at the plate as well. She too, like Jensen, collected one hit and drew a walk, but her one hit was a booming shot, that made it over the center field wall for a grand slam. Her walk also came with the bases loaded and forced in a run that tallied her RBI total on the day to five. After the game Olivas shares how she felt about her performance “It feels good to come back and get a solid hit as I’ve been struggling”, said Olivas.

Olivas concluded by saying that a she will continue to try to put the ball in play and get base hits to help her team out.

Head softball coach Kodee Murray gave her input on the teams’ performance. “Well I feel like we’ve been playing a little bit better lately, more like a team and we’re starting to swing our bats pretty well,”said Murray.

Murray mentions the fact that sophomore pitcher Kat Flores has stepped up big for the Falcons now in back to back games starting with a mercy win over El Camino on March 3 and culminating now on March 4. Murray concluded by talking about the Falcons upcoming game on March 6 on the road against Mt. San Antonio.

“We got a big game this week Thursday over at Mt. San Antonio College and that will define first place at the end of the week., said Murray.

Cerritos and Mt. SAC are tied on top of the South Coast Conference standings with identical 6-1 records, the difference being that Cerritos handed Mt. SAC their only loss in conference play.

The game in which the Falcons beat Mt. SAC was on Feb. 11, almost a month ago and it too came by way of the mercy rule by a final on 10-2 after six innings. The Falcons will travel to Mt. SAC on March 6 to play for first place.

Mario Jimenez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi my name is Mario. I'm a cool chill person to talk to. You don't believe just come talk to me when you see me.