Falcons win seventh straight game

Falcons first basemen Haley Whitney connects on one of her two singles on March 11 against the Lancers. Photo credit: Mario Jimenez

The Cerritos Falcons softball team earned their seventh win in a row with a convincing 8-0 shutout over the Pasadena Lancers on March 11.

With the win, the Falcons improve their record on the year to 12-5; however they are 8-1 in conference play and sit in first place atop the conference.

The Falcons got a strong start from right handed pitcher Jamie Ramirez, as she went four innings, giving up no runs, on five hits and two strikeouts.

“I feel like we came out to work hard and to get it done right away,” Ramirez said.

According to Ramirez, her team has no quit in them and this type of toughness in the way the Falcons play together.

“It feels good. It feels like our hard work is paying off, but we just got to keep fighting,” Ramirez said.

The Falcons took an early lead by scoring two runs in the bottom of the second. Sophomore first basemen Haley Whitney got things started with a walk and the next batter got hit by a pitch to put runners on first and second for Ramirez who proceeded to double into the right center field, driving in Whitney in the process.

The next batter, freshmen catcher/outfielder Haley Petruccelli proceeded to single into left field to drive the second run of the inning for Cerritos. The Falcons would tack on another run in the bottom of the third on a solo home run by sophomore third basemen Ariana Mejia.

Quite a number of Falcons had big days at the plate, Haley Whitney was one of them. Whitney went 2-2, with two runs scored and one walk.

“I feel like I could have done better but I got the job done so it’s still good,”Whitney said.

Whitney also mentioned the fact that she did her job defensively and kept the ball in front of her at all times. Whitney noticed a cut on her left forearm that she had reopened.

“Yeah I reopened my cut again for the fifth billionth time, but I reopen it every game so it’s nothing new,” Whitney said.

The Lancers loaded the bases in the top of the fourth, but Ramirez was able to battle through it and got out of the inning with no harm done. In the bottom of the fifth, the Falcons would score five runs and walk off with a mercy rule victory.

The inning was capped off by Ramirez hitting her second RBI double of the game. Ramirez went 2-3 with two doubles, two runs scored and three run batted in.

Head coach Kodee Murray was content with the fury the team played with.

“I think we didn’t have enough energy to play real hard,” Murray said.

According to Murray, her team scored the runs that they needed in order to win, but she questions the amount of energy they played with.

“She did a nice job. She’s been out sick for three or four games and has gotten herself back together and I think she’ll be with us the rest of the season,” Murray said.

Mario Jimenez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi my name is Mario. I'm a cool chill person to talk to. You don't believe just come talk to me when you see me.