Men’s tennis battle through for close win

Jose Pacquing competing in his singles match-up, he would eventually lose 7-6, 6-4. Photo credit: Armando Jacobo

The Falcons bounce back against Mt. San Antonio College (3-10) narrowly beating the Mounties with a final score of 5-4.

The Cerritos College men’s tennis team was previously on an 11 game winning streak, before falling to Amherst (MA) College (15-2) during spring break on Mar. 21.

Spring break seemed to disrupt the chemistry and rhythm the Falcons had, prior to the week-long break, which resulted in the recent loss against Amherst, according to frosh Jose Pacquing.

“Definitely, this spring break really wiped our momentum. We were on a win streak, we were playing really hard, I don’t think it was so much Amherst that messed up our win streak, I mean they’re a good team, hands down they’re a good team but I don’t think they were a better team, I think we could’ve gotten closer,” Pacquing said.

The Falcons managed to bounce back and pull out a victory even without their top singles players, giving them time to fully recover from their injuries and prepare for the upcoming North/South Tournament at Fresno City over the weekend.

The Falcons split their singles matchups against Mt. San Antonio and sealed the victory with wins in a pair of doubles matches.

With a 5-0 record in conference play and multiple wins against El Camino College and Mt. San Antonio, the Cerritos College men’s tennis team is in prime position to take the conference title as the playoffs come into focus.

Despite their strong record and success, coach Kim still believes the Falcons need to get back into rhythm and fine-tune some errors.

“So we’re not really clicking on all cylinders but we’re hoping to get there when the playoffs come,” said coach Kim.

Armando Jacobo
Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.