Volleyball motivated by Dig Pink Rally

As October approaches, people often prepare for upcoming Halloween weekend festivities.

Most overlook the fact that October represents Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease.

The Cerritos College volleyball team will be participating in the Dig Pink Rally, sponsored by the Side-Out Foundation for the fifth consecutive year.

The team distributes T-shirts that can be purchased at the Physical Education Department, advocating breast cancer awareness as well as promoting the Dig Pink Rally insignia.

“I think it’s a good motivation and we always tell (the athletes) why we fundraise,” Teresa Velasquez, head coach, said.

“Every year we raise at least $500; (we) try and (increase) that goal to six, $700 every year but we try our best to try and support the program for breast cancer.”

Beginning on its first home game for October, the volleyball team will have attendees for the match-up contribute donations and will also be selling its trademark breast cancer awareness T-shirts.

This year will be a tad different from previous years.

Instead of charging at the door for entry, people wearing pink will be admitted for free, but donations will still be accepted.

The Dig Pink Rally also gives the Falcons an opportunity to change the simplistic blue and white school color scheme and incorporate pink to the game-day uniforms.

Sara Hickman, outside hitter, said, “I don’t really like the color pink but it’s for a good cause so I’m excited because it’s the only month we get to change up our colors and change up our style; you know, kind of support a certain cause that everyone is supporting, so it’s exciting. We’re looking forward to it.”

Natalie Caravantes, setter, feels like the color depicts more than that and brings a hint of concord that the team has been preaching throughout the season.

“I like the color and (it’s) empowering in the sense that it supports breast cancer.

“I think it’s good for the team, it brings a sense of unity,” she said.

While it looks forward to its first October home game, the volleyball team is also focused on its next game against El Camino College (8-2) in an away contest.

Despite its inconsistencies on the court and currently riding a two-game losing streak, the volleyball team is confident enough to overcome its skid.

“We want to play together; basically, our thoughts are that we know we have the talent, we know we have the strength and right power, but sometimes we play as individuals, and our goal for El Camino is to play as a team, to keep our energy up and if we keep our energy up, we can overpower (El Camino),” Hickman said.

The Falcons have high hopes as the team is aware that the Warriors are facing a two-game losing streak of their own.

“It will be a challenge, I think going against (El Camino) is going to be a really great game because (the team is) our rival; (it’s) really good and we feel like we can beat (it); that’s why everyone is excited to play,” defensive specialist Dymond Johnson said.

The Cerritos College volleyball team goes to El Camino College to face the Warriors on Friday at 4 p. m.

Armando Jacobo
Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.