Despite a draw, the Falcons still sit atop the SCC

Abraham Venegas
Midfielder Ludwing Vargas trying to capture an air ball. The Falcons were unable to score against ECC Compton as the game in a 0-0 draw.

Despite having the home field advantage, the men’s soccer team was not able to breakdown ECC Compton as it scraped away a 0-0 draw.

The Falcons sit a top of the South Coast Conference with a 2-0-1 record, while Compton sits at sixth with a 0-0-3 record.

The two teams spent the entire game battling for the possession of the ball and both teams had missed opportunities when it came to chances up front.

The game started slow for the Falcons but quickly picked up the tempo toward the end of the first half, as midfielder Gilbert Rocha had the best chance in the 40th minute when a low cross from the right wing into the box. Rocha wasn’t able to get a good touch to the ball.

During the second half, the momentum that the Falcons gained was lost due to the Tartars, who were able to keep most game in the midfield and did not allow Cerritos to establish itself.

Forward Connor Johnson said, “I feel like in the first half we really knocked the ball around, posed the game well and opened (the Tartars) up, and toward the end, for whatever reason, we just wanted to kick the ball to the forward and obviously it didn’t work.”

Compton had the best opportunity of the game in the 85th when Adrian Guzman’s header from a cross hit the crossbar.

Cerritos did have its chance three minutes in when a free kick by defender Ricardo Covarrubias got deflected as it passed by the right post.

Midfielder Sebastian Velasquez said that the team didn’t have enough energy and needed to play more as a unit. He also mentioned, “We (need to) make sure to finished our chances early because that is what caught up to us.”

Abraham Venegas
Abraham Venegas, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 I am person who speaks his mind about things or issues and will not censor himself to anybody. I have been attending Cerritos College for three years after graduating from Downey High School. In my downtime I enjoy reading books about social movements throughout history, bike riding, playing futbol, hanging out with friends among other things. I also enjoy watching and talking boxing and if you want to know about the sport or when is the next "big" fight talk to me not the dimwits on ESPN.