Football wins its final home game of regular season

Cerritos College wins its final regular season home game against Moorpark College 43-33. Quarterback Jimmy Walker lines up in the gun to snap the football. Photo credit: Grester Celis-Acosta

The Falcons’ defense forced five interceptions in the last home game of the regular season, which helped earn a victory against Moorpark College, 43-33, and secure a bowl game for the Cerritos College football team.

Head Coach Frank Mazzotta said, “The defense has been kind of saving us a little bit … each week (it has) kept us in the game.”

The Falcon offense was on a roller coaster, scoring five touchdowns but throwing three interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown, letting the opposition get a safety.

The Falcon defense, on the other hand, is what secured the win. The team started off strong, with the first possession of the Moorpark offense throwing an interception.

In four other occasions, the defense came up big with interceptions, one of which resulted in a touchdown in the third quarter, which gave Cerritos College a 29-23 lead.

The Falcons also forced a fumble in the third quarter, which resulted in the offense getting back on the field and Quarterback Jimmy Walker throwing a touchdown to his receiver.

“I’m pleased with everything,” Mazzotta said. “These kids fight their butts off and do a good job.”

In the wake of this victory, Cerritos College is now eligible for a bowl game which has some players feeling excited.

David Fangupo, defensive tackle, said that he feels, “Ecstatic; our defense seems ready; our offense is starting to click now; so we (are) ready for Canyons.”

As for Anthony Casados, defensive end, he said, “I’m very happy. It will be good maybe if we go to playoffs, but I’m happy with being in another bowl game and win another ring.”

Cerritos College is now 6-3 on the season with one game left against College of the Canyons, which will be a road game for the Falcons.

Davey Monette, free safety, said, “We work real hard throughout the week and it shows on Saturday. We keep this going and we only going to get better every week.”

Cerritos College will be going on a bye-week – a week-break from action – and on Nov. 15, the team will be on the road taking on College of the Canyons.

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23