Falcons defeat ECC Compton Tartars 3-1

Men’s soccer head coach Benny Artiaga would gather his players after games and educate them on both the level they should be playing and how quickly they have to get on with the program after suffering three ties and one loss in the last four games.

In the game on Friday Oct. 31, Artiaga decided to use a different formation as they faced El Camino Compton Center.

The new formation made an impact on the Falcons as the team won 3-1 against the Tartars.

In the games following up the match, Cerritos had tied previously with El Camino.

In the second confrontation a new formation was put into place by the coaching staff.

“We changed our formation a little bit,” Artiaga said. “We trained it and practiced it and (players) came out and executed.”

In the first half ECC Compton made far descends into Falcon territory moving the ball across the field looking for it’s rather quick wingers.

After a few failed attempts from the Tartars, Cerritos regained possession of the ball and most of the game was controlled by the Falcons.

The team chemistry kicked in for Cerritos as quick, pass-and-go passes were executed all throughout the pitch giving the Tartars very few chances to get the ball.

The first goal came from freshman Diego Perez.

The defender joined in the attack led by sophomore Mario Guerrero as he spotted the freshman and passed him the ball deep in ECC Compton’s penalty box.

The defender found space in the crowded box to shoot on target and score the opening goal.

In the second half, Cerritos looked on to capitalize on the one nil lead and score a second goal early in the half.

A set piece was given the the Falcons in a potential scoring area.

The ball glided into the Tartar’s box and found a header from Connor Johnson that was blocked by ECC Compton’s goalkeeper.

However the loose ball in the area landed sweetly in headering range for freshman Saratiel Campos as his neck muscles pitched in to connect with the ball and put it in the net for the 2-0 lead.

ECC Compton responded in the 26′ minute from a free kick goal that appealed to the onlooking crowd transforming the scoreboard to read 2-1.

The shot had both power and placement as the ball calmly rocketed into the top left shelf of Cerrito’s net.

A very important goal according to Artiaga came in the dying embers of the game.

To settle the nerves of the Falcons leading by one goal, build up play ultimately found its way to freshman Christian Carillo as he calmly positioned his body in front of goal and plopped the ball past the keeper and into the net.

“I think we played really great, we got the win after many disappointing results,” Carillo said.

The forward scored his eighth goal of the season and ended the game at 3-1.

“As a forward, I do like this formation more,” Carillo said. “I know the wings and the three defenders that used to play in the old formation were very exhausted most games and I feel that this formation give everyone equal amount of coverage.”

The Falcons now carry an improved 4-2-4 conference record and 9-3-5 overall into the match against Mt. San Antonio College on Tues, Nov. 4 at 5 p.m.

Sebastian Echeverry
Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5