Anaya-Webb, Requejo inch closer to breaking records in Falcons’ 7-0 win

Cerritos forward Ashley Anaya-Webb scored three goals in the Falcons’ 7-0 route of Los Angeles Harbor College, bringing her one goal shy of tying the Cerritos single-season record of 36 goals, set in 2008 by Monique Cisneros.

With 30 goals to her name this season, midfielder Nayeli Requejo has a total of 56 career goals and is one shy of the 57 also set by Cisneros.

“We had a really good game,” midfielder Jazmin Aguas said. “Today we had home field advantage and we were able to find those spaces and connect and finish the ones we needed to.”

Aguas opened the scoring in the ninth minute and also contributed two assists, being instrumental in the game.

Just before the end of the first half, Anaya-Webb scored two goals, first in the 39th minute thanks to a cross into the box by forward Carolina Ornelas.

Four minutes later, buildup by Aguas and Esmeralda Verdugo assisted Anaya-Webb, scoring on a first touch and increasing the score 3-0.

Requejo dashed on the left wing dribbling past defenders to score on the upper corner, making it 4-0 in the 52nd minute.

Verdugo scored five minutes later with an assist from Requejo.

Anaya-Webb scored her third goal in the 76th minute and Ornelas sealed the deal with the final scoreline 7-0.

Coach Ruben Gonzalez said, “We wanted to come here and take care of business and we did.”

With playoffs around the corner, Aguas still feels the team could make some improvements.

“Finishing because we should be scoring more. There are opportunities that we have and we miss literally right in front of the goal, and those opportunities, in a playoff game, we can’t miss.”

The Falcons currently sit on top of the South Coast Conference with 12 wins and one loss and eight points ahead of Mt. San Antonio College.

The Falcons next game will be away at El Camino on Friday at 1 p.m.

Abraham Venegas, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 I am person who speaks his mind about things or issues and will not censor himself to anybody. I have been attending Cerritos College for three years after graduating from Downey High School. In my downtime I enjoy reading books about social movements throughout history, bike riding, playing futbol, hanging out with friends among other things. I also enjoy watching and talking boxing and if you want to know about the sport or when is the next "big" fight talk to me not the dimwits on ESPN.