Volleyball falls short of playoffs again for sixth consecutive year

Despite ending the season with an overall record of 14-8 and 11-3 in the South Coast Conference, the women’s volleyball team was left out of the playoffs, increasing their postseason-less years to six.

Right side hitter Tisha Lenon said, “I feel like it wasn’t fair, but I see why we were left out. We did get second in conference which is really good compared to the past years for Cerritos, but the way [conference] sees it, Cerritos hasn’t been in the top for a while, so that kind of did affect us.”

The Falcons placed second in the South Coast Conference after El Camino College, making it their best finish in their conference since 2009.

However, that was still not enough for the team to be included in the playoffs.

“Preseason affected us a lot because it was a tight choice so (conference) looked at our other games we played in preseason and since we didn’t do so well, that affected us,” Lenon said.

Lenon and defensive specialist Dymond Johnson felt that their biggest rivals this season were Long Beach City College, who the Falcons defeated both times, and Mt. San Antonio College, who they split both decisions with.

Johnson believes that the teams motivation was their best aspect this season.

“Pushing ourselves to do better, like in the beginning it was a little shaky and we just progressed. We learned how to play each other and work together.” Johnson said. “I feel like everyone had their own motivation to do things.”

She hopes for more consistency and motivation among the team in the future, while Lenon hopes that the team will focus more during the offseason by practicing and working out.

“Because I feel like offseason is just as important as during-season to stay determined and wanting to start and play,” Johnson continues.

The Falcons did receive six all-conference recognitions: Outside hitter Jasmynne Roberts and setter Michelle Barba made the 1st Team.

Outside hitter and middle blocker Sara Hickman, as well as middle blocker Jasmin Mitchell made the 2nd Team.

While libero Jasmine Peralta and middle blocker Lisa Villarroel received honorable mentions.

Roberts led the team with 377 kills, ranking her No. 7 on Cerritos College’s single-season list, and earned rank No. 8 for her 297 digs.

Monica Gallardo
Monica Gallardo, Opinion Editor
Spring 2015 Hey, I'm Monica and I'm the opinion editor at Talon Marks. When I'm not stressing about creating story topics and making sure everyone meets their deadlines, I'm probably hanging out with friends or sleeping or just chilling with dogs. It's my second semester on the paper and hopefully next semester I'll be at a Cal State. Last semester I was the sports copy editor and I'm excited to take on a bigger role and grow with my fellow journalists. In the future, after school is all done with and I'm responsible enough, I plan to go to New Zealand and maybe stay there because even though I've never been there, it's my favorite place. And no, it's not because I love The Lord of the Rings and New Zealand is where the trilogy was filmed. That's just a coincidence.