Collazo’s double gives Falcons the win

Pitcher Evelyn Labatos threw seven innings for the Falcons. She gave up five hits and had seven strikeouts, leading to a 1-0 Cerritos win. Photo credit: Monica Gallardo

With a final score of 1-0, the Falcons won a nail-biting game on Tuesday, Feb. 24, keeping their shared first place stance with Mt. San Antonio in the South Coast Conference.

Their next conference game will be on Thursday, Feb. 26, against Los Angeles Harbor College.

It was a very close game with a score of 0-0 throughout the first four innings. It wasn’t until bottom of the fifth where the Falcons took the lead and things got very exciting.

With two outs, things took a turn when freshman outfielder Jasmine Javier, got on base. Freshman third basemen Karissa Hamilton was then brought in to pinch-hit and was hit by a pitch sending her to first base.

With two on base and two outs, the pressure was on when freshman shortstop Jenny Collazo, stepped up to the plate. The momentum of the game drastically changed when Collazo connected for a double, allowing Javier to score the Falcons’ only run.

According to head coach Kodee Murray, “El Camino is a good team and they’re well coached and their pitcher threw a great game against us. She locked us up when we were in a position trying to score runs.”

Murray also said, “We just needed to get our base runners on. We didn’t do our job offensively today, we didn’t get our lead off on and we didn’t do things that really are a part of the whole game.”

Sophomore catcher Krystal Purkey said, “[Coach Murray] was telling us to get out and stay calm. We were getting kind of tense because it was a close game.”

Purkey also said, “We’re just playing better teams in our conference and they want to beat us really bad so they try harder,”

According to winning pitcher Jenny Navarro, “Every time [Coach Murray] comes out she says ‘you got to finish it, it’s your game’ and that gets my mentality straight,”

After this game, Navarro now has a record of 7-0 for this season.

She added, “None of us slack off at practice, like even our non-starters, they’re working their butts off and just practice. We all are.”

“We all put a little part to this team and that’s what matters at the end because we all come together and when we all work together you can see it pays off.”

Yasmin Cortez
Yasmin Cortez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Yasmin Cortez- My Major is English with emphasis in Film/Media, I plan to transfer to UCLA next semester, this is my first semester in TalonMarks! I’m iFalcon Club’s Public Relations Officer, Secretary for Social Photography Club, and I was on the Cross Country team. Fun facts: I plan to get my sky diving license, American Psycho is my favorite movie, I was a foley artist for a Feature Film and received IMDb credits, I have a tarantula named Harry, I'm a dancer for the Pacifico Dance Company, and last semester I was hit by the Frantone's van while skateboarding at school (I was skating because earlier that week my bike was stolen from campus)