Answering the Bell

He stands at a rangy six-foot-four inches and at a stout 220 pounds. Sophomore Josh Bell has turned what could have been misery into what he described as a miracle.

Prior to the 2012-2013 season, his first year, Bell tore his ACL for the third time.

“It was very difficult for me because I tore my ACL for a third time and I had to watch another season go by,” Bell said.

“There were nights I cried and had to ask ‘God why me?’ ” he added.

Bell wouldn’t have to question much for long. For the 2013-2014 season he finally donned a Cerritos Falcons jersey.

Bell would go on to play in 26 games, starting in six of them. He averaged merely five points and five rebounds. While some may not believe that is much, for somebody coming back from tearing a major ligament, that is commendable.

He did so while shooting over 60 percent from the field. With a season high of 23 points and a season high of 10 rebounds.

“It was like a burden [had been lifted] off my shoulders because I had been through so much and for me to complete a year with no injuries was great,” Bell said.

“I wouldn’t change it for [anything]. Everything happens for a reason and it was [a] learning experience and maybe it was a test from God telling me to be patient,” he added.

Religion is a big part of Bell’s life, and credits his beliefs in getting far in his sports career.

“I thank Him every day for giving me life and even before every game I pray that everybody who steps on the court [leaves with] no injuries,” Bell said.

Following his freshmen season Bell faced what would have possibly changed his life forever.

“I was supposed to miss this year because in the showcase earlier this year I messed up my knee and I thought I tore my ACL again and I went to get an MRI and the doctor said I did.

Like a week later I went to my surgeon and he said I didn’t. It just looked like my [surgically repaired] knee,” Bell concluded.

Bell shocked his teammates when he played in 19 games this year averaging almost 10 points per game (third on team), nearly eight rebounds (led team) and over a steal per game (led team). With season highs 19 points and 17 rebounds.

Again doing this while shooting almost 60 percent from the field.

“Josh is the heart of this team. He has sacrificed so much this year risking tearing his ACL again,” Head coach Russ May said.

“Again he just showed tremendous, tremendous sacrifice,” May reiterated.

Bell was undoubtedly one of the biggest motivators for his teammates as seen throughout the course of the year. Fellow Sophomore Micah Winn is no different.

“He is an absolute warrior, my absolute favorite teammate I ever had. He is like my big brother. He took me under his wing when I came out of high school and I learned so much about the college game playing with him and talking to him,” Winn explained.

As far as Bell risking further injury by playing this year the aforementioned Winn was at a loss for words.

“He proved he was mentally tough, resilient, focused, fun to be around and he is a good high character guy that any team would be privileged to have,” Winn concluded.

When it came to the freshmen on the team Bell wanted to simply teach them to “play every game as if it’s your last.”

Among his favorite moments as a Falcon, Bell reflected back to a time when he was a freshman and as a No. 8 seed the Falcons knocked off the No. 1 seed Antelope Valley after weeks of people saying they didn’t stand a chance.

Again that game just put into perspective of how Bell along with the team as a whole overcame adversity.

Bell looked toward the future and explained what a lasting impression he would want to leave on Cerritos and be remembered for.

“I want to be remembered for somebody who never gave up and always gave it 110 percent all the time. Somebody who inspired his teammates to be the best they can be and someone who genuinely loves life and is a man of God.

“I want people to say he was a great basketball player and was a guy who always seen the good in people and always made people smile and laugh.”

Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!