Power and speed lead to another Falcons mercy-win

Pinch-hitter Stefani Gonzalez hit one of four Falcons home runs for the 12-3 victory. This was Cerritos’ tenth mercy-win of the season. Photo credit: Monica Gallardo

First baseman Crystal Cano hit a pair of two-run home runs in the Falcons’ 12-3 win over Pasadena City College.

Catcher Krystal Purkey and pinch hitter Stefani Gonzalez also hit a home run, while pitcher Ana Pedroza earned her seventh win of the season, improving Cerritos College’s record to 17-12 overall and 12-4 in the South Coast Conference.

Cano said, “We want to fight and play each game like it’s our last. We jumped on Pasadena today and it started by getting their lead-off out, we knew from that point that it brought their energy down.”

The Lancers gained two baserunners in the first inning with two outs, but third baseman Jackie Aguilar fouled out to third to end the first half of the inning.

Center fielder Joanna Perruccio led-off for the Falcons with a walk and stole second. Cano then launched her first home run of the game over the center field wall, giving Cerritos the early 2-0 lead.

Purkey then hit a home run of her own with two outs, increasing the lead to three.

Lancers left-fielder Yecenia Cardenas singled to left to start off the second inning and stole second after designated player Katelyn Thordarson struck out looking. Cardenas advanced to third on shortstop Anais Sustatya’s center field fly-out. Pedroza struck out center fielder Breanna Rodrigo to end the Lancers’ bid.

With two outs in the bottom of the second inning, second baseman Monique Ramirez singled to shortstop, but was caught stealing.

Pedroza quickly got three outs in the third inning with a fly-out, ground-out and strikeout.

Perruccio hit a soft bunt down the third base line to lead things off in the bottom of the third inning. She advanced to second on a throwing error and safely sped her way to third. With two outs, shortstop Jenny Collazo doubled and scored Perruccio.

Purkey then singled to shortstop, allowing designated player Haley Petruccelli to earn the RBI when Collazo scored due to her double to left field.

Third baseman Jennifer Navarro hit a single, scoring Purkey and leaving runners at the corners for pinch hitter Stefani Gonzalez. Gonzalez then launched a home run to right center field, increasing the Falcons lead to 9-0.

After a pitching change, Ramirez hit a sharp liner back to the mound, but saw it caught in the glove of Cierra Newton.

Cerritos continued to score in the bottom of the fourth inning. Perruccio once again led-off with a bunt single and was brought home when Cano hit her second home run of the game. The Falcons gained one more run when left fielder Jasmine Javier scored on Purkey’s single to shortstop.

With one out and two runners on in the fifth inning, Pasadena right fielder Mariah Quintana reached on an error by Ramirez. Rodrigo was soon tagged out at home, before catcher Holly Riker-Sloan hit a three-run home run, bringing the score to 12-3.

Pedroza later got the final out of the game with a ground-out to Collazo.

Assistant coach Jenel Guadagno said, “Compared to our last game, I definitely think they turned the page and came ready to go. We have to win the rest of our games and they came with the mindset and got it accomplished.”

Monica Gallardo
Monica Gallardo, Opinion Editor
Spring 2015 Hey, I'm Monica and I'm the opinion editor at Talon Marks. When I'm not stressing about creating story topics and making sure everyone meets their deadlines, I'm probably hanging out with friends or sleeping or just chilling with dogs. It's my second semester on the paper and hopefully next semester I'll be at a Cal State. Last semester I was the sports copy editor and I'm excited to take on a bigger role and grow with my fellow journalists. In the future, after school is all done with and I'm responsible enough, I plan to go to New Zealand and maybe stay there because even though I've never been there, it's my favorite place. And no, it's not because I love The Lord of the Rings and New Zealand is where the trilogy was filmed. That's just a coincidence.