Softball team prepares for regional playoffs

Center fielder Joanna Perruccio attempts to outrun pitcher Ana Pedroza’s throw to first. The Falcons are one of the 16 teams that made it to the Southern California Regional Playoffs. Photo credit: Monica Gallardo

After riding a three-game losing streak to end the regular season at 23-17, the Cerritos College softball team will head to College of the Canyons on Saturday for the first round of the Southern California Regional Playoffs with six honorable players.

Sophomore Crystal Cano, who spent time at third and first, earned All-State Team and First-Team South Coast Conference honors and center fielder Joanna Perruccio also made the First-Team.

Shortstop Jenny Collazo, pitcher Jennifer Navarro and catcher Krystal Purkey earned Second-Team recognition. Second baseman Monique Ramirez received an honorable mention.

Cerritos finished third in the South Coast Conference and is seeded at No. 11 in the Southern California Regional Playoffs. While No.6 ranked College of the Canyons (28-10-1) placed second in the Western State Conference Blue Division.

Cano said, “Our season has been a rollercoaster and we have all agreed to erase the past.

“We have done our job to make it to playoffs. As a team, we’ve decided to flip the page and it’s like a new beginning.”

Head coach Kodee Murray said, “When you go into your postseason, it’s a whole new season. You’ve kind of let everything that has been building up to this point go.

“We’re not sitting and thinking about what has happened; it’s about how much better we are today, putting ourselves in a better spot when we played (the team) this time around.”

The Falcons last met the Cougars on February 20.

That game resulted in an extra-inning 4-3 loss for Cerritos, but Murray believes that this will be a good matchup for the team.

“If we go out and are able to swing the bats like we can, I feel like we’ve got a really good shot against [CotC]. I’m really glad that we paired up with [CotC],” she said.

Murray also believes the team can use its personal pride and resilience to have a successful postseason and learn from the previous losses.

“Pride is believing in ourselves and holding ourselves accountable and stepping up in big moments.”

Monica Gallardo
Monica Gallardo, Opinion Editor
Spring 2015 Hey, I'm Monica and I'm the opinion editor at Talon Marks. When I'm not stressing about creating story topics and making sure everyone meets their deadlines, I'm probably hanging out with friends or sleeping or just chilling with dogs. It's my second semester on the paper and hopefully next semester I'll be at a Cal State. Last semester I was the sports copy editor and I'm excited to take on a bigger role and grow with my fellow journalists. In the future, after school is all done with and I'm responsible enough, I plan to go to New Zealand and maybe stay there because even though I've never been there, it's my favorite place. And no, it's not because I love The Lord of the Rings and New Zealand is where the trilogy was filmed. That's just a coincidence.