Kick off whistle looms in the distance for men’s soccer

Freshman Goal Keeper Eduardo Valdovinous (right) challenges Freshman Midfielders Albert Filorios (left) attack during practice. They face Rio Hondo Thursday, August 27th at 4 p.m. Photo credit: Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington
Freshman Goal Keeper Eduardo Valdovinous (right) challenges Freshman Midfielders Albert Filorio’s (left) attack during practice. They face Rio Hondo Thursday, August 27th at 4 p.m. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

New year, new season and a fresh start. That’s what head coach Benny Artiaga thinks about the new season.

After coming off a winning season [taking first in state; second nationally] the team is heading into this season with high hopes and expectations.

Going into the first game at home against Rio Hondo College,Thursday Aug. 27 at 4 p.m.

Cerritos College has an undefeated record against Rio Hondo.

Artiaga said, “The 2015 team has done nothing [in preparation for the match up].”

Most of the players are freshmen with about seven returning players.

“What alumni players and teams have done in the past mean nothing to the current team,” Artiaga added.

It may seem harsh, but he has only the best intentions.

“He’s not yelling at us, he is just pushing us to do better,” returning player Christian Carrillo said.

During the off-season, coaches and players focused on team unity and physical conditioning.

The team took its annual trip to Mammoth Lakes during the summer and it was there that the team captain [ Christian Carrillo] was chosen.

Carrillo, forward and returning sophomore, is looked to as a leader.

“Leadership is nothing new.” Carrillo said about the pressure that comes with being captain.

“It feels good to know the team believes in me, there’s a good connection,” he added.

The first game of any season is important and this one is no exception.

“We’re the team to beat.” Goalkeeper Jaime Sanchez said.

“We have to match the team’s intensity and drive. If we don’t we can’t expect to win.”

Even though Sanchez may not be captain, as goalkeeper, he is in a position of leadership.

He sees the whole field and what the other players may not see.

Rather than being aggressive he uses his assertiveness to direct his team.

“Instead of making it a command, I direct the team to what needs to be done,” Sanchez said.

“Let it go. Stay confident.” Sanchez said about making mistakes on the field.

“Fresh eyes,” were the words of head coach Artiaga used. This seems to be the theme of the upcoming season.

With their aggression, communication, strong coaching staff and pride for Cerritos College there is no reason the athletic department can’t expect a repeat championship at the end of the season.

Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.