All Tied Up

Looks like Cerritos’ boys (white) are getting nice and cozy with the opponents as they get ready for a corner kick. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Arriving at Oxnard within the hour of the first whistle, the men’s soccer team was ready to face the Oxnard City College Condors.

The Falcons ended at a 3-3 draw against a determined Oxnard team.

Right out of the gate, the Falcons struck first, scoring the first goal.

Oxnard would prove to be not an easy opponent.

They refused to be down at halftime. They scored not one, but two goals.

The second half had started. There was no one controlling team. They had a decent volley going back and forth to each side of the half. It would prove successful and all efforts payed off.

A foul happened in the 18-yard-box, in Oxnard territory.

That foul ended with a penalty kick. Subsequently, that penalty ended with a goal.

It was 3-2 Cerritos College now trailing. They had this game in the bag, or so they thought.

And just when they began to get comfortable with their lead, Oxnard shot one back.

“Our intensity was there, our touches were there,” freshman Jason Arejia, said. “We just kept getting to comfortable.”

Taking the foot off the gas pedal was exactly what led to the defeat against Rio Hondo.

It seems as if the team forgot that the final whistle still hadn’t blown yet.

The score was 3-3.

With all its might, the Falcons tried its best to score again, but the defense would prove to be lacking.

“We could improve on our defense,” freshman Mark Sanchez said, “We should have closed down and make everything tighter.”

Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.