Natalie Caravantes (#24) and Jasmine McNeal (#27) jump at the net to try and block a kill attempt from Long Beach Citys Lauren Christensen (#5). Caravantes led the Falcons with 32 assists while McNeal had two kills in the match. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata
Natalie Caravantes (#24) and Jasmine McNeal (#27) jump at the net to try and block a kill attempt from Long Beach City’s Lauren Christensen (#5). Caravantes led the Falcons with 32 assists while McNeal had two kills in the match. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata

Women’s volleyball team victorious over Vikings

After a dismal road trip to Riverside College and two tournaments at Fullerton College and San Diego City College, the Cerritos College women’s volleyball team came home and got a win over Long Beach City College in front of the home fans.

The Falcons, paced by Nicole Spigner (nine kills, 18 digs), overcame slow starts in the first two sets and managed to eke out a straight set victory over the Long Beach City College Vikings in front of about 100 people at the Cerritos Falcon Gym.

Cerritos College won by scores of 25-20, 25-19, and 25-18, respectively.

“It was a tough start,” Spigner said. “We just shook it off and regrouped, yet we didn’t want to make any mistakes and we had to just put the ball down.”

Middle blocker Kayley Stephens, who had five kills on the night, said, “We needed to work together, and we did. For the first two set points, we just needed to put the ball down.”

Head coach Teresa Velazquez-Ortega said, “[The players] were nervous at the start. They just needed to pick up the game the way they should, and they did.”

A road match is in the books for Cerritos College against Mt. San Antonio College on Wednesday, Oct. 7.

The next match at home will be on Friday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. against Los Angeles Harbor College.

The Falcons wore pink jerseys in this match in honor of breast cancer awareness month, and the pink jerseys will be worn at home all throughout the month of October.

Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714