Falcons beat Beavers for fourth straight game

Nicole Spigner (#4) tips the ball over the net for a kill. Spigner once again led the Falcons with eight kills and 14 digs. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata

The wins keep coming for the Cerritos College women’s volleyball team.

Coming off back-to-back road victories over Pasadena City College and East Los Angeles College last week, the Falcons came home and swept the Los Angeles Trade-Tech Beavers 25-11, 25-10 and 25-11 in front of 75 people at the Aviary.

Cerritos once again wore its pink jerseys in support of the fight against breast cancer.

The victory was the fourth consecutive for Cerritos College.

The Falcons will try to make it five in a row on Friday, Oct. 23 when they host El Camino College at 6 p.m.

Leading the charge for the Falcons were Nicole Spigner (8 kills, 14 digs), Jasmine Peralta (6 service aces) and Natalie Caravantes (27 assists).

“It was a slow game,” Spigner said. “We just kept talking and I played my game style, which is mostly defense.”

Right side hitter Tisha Lenon, who had a pair of kills and 4 service aces on the night, said, “We just stayed positive and were mentally prepared as well as responsible. [Volleyball] is a game of mentality and staying focused, and we were just like that tonight.”

Head coach Teresa Velazquez-Ortega said, “[My team] played their style, which is aggressive and tough. We are a top 25 team and every game is important from here on out.”

Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714