Kayley Stephens (#1) hits the ball over the block of Los Angeles Harbors Amber Ruiz (#6). Stephens had 10 kills and two blocks on the night. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata
Kayley Stephens (#1) hits the ball over the block of Los Angeles Harbor’s Amber Ruiz (#6). Stephens had 10 kills and two blocks on the night. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata

Volleyball can’t lock up against Pasadena City Lancers

Cerritos goes five sets again, but Pasadena City prevails.

Another full, five-set match on the home court meant another loss for the Cerritos College women’s volleyball team.

Monica Vega led the Falcons with 17 kills along with Natalie Caravantes picking up 45 assists.

It wasn’t enough as Cerritos suffered a hefty five-set loss to the Pasadena City College Lancers in front of 140 people at the Aviary, earning a season series split with the Lancers for 2015.

Pasadena won the first set 25-12 before the Falcons took the next two sets 25-17 and 25-15.

The Lancers took sets four and five by scores of 25-21 and 15-11 to take the victory.

“I kept looking at the blockers and I wanted to hit the ball off the blocker’s fingertips,” Vega said. “[Pasadena] had great defense and we got stuffed a lot.”

Head coach Teresa Velazquez-Ortega said, “[My team] didn’t play well in the first set, In sets four and five, [the women] stopped playing.

“They were also over-confident and [Pasadena] wanted this match more than we did.”

Outside hitter Nicole Spigner, who had 16 kills as well as 15 digs, said, “I just had to play smart and focus on where to hit the ball. We started out right, but we had to finish strong and unfortunately we blew it.”

The Falcons had a lot of chances to lock up the match, but careless mistakes, miscommunication and better defense by Pasadena, including Vega and Spigner getting some of their kill attempts blocked, were some of the key factors for the defeat.

The loss marks a major setback for Cerritos as the Falcons fell to 14-10 overall and 7-4 against South Coast Conference opponents.

The Falcons will play its final home match of the season on Veteran’s Day Wednesday, Nov. 11 at 3 p.m. against East Los Angeles College.

Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714