Falcons end home campaign on a high note

Taylor Ogata
Kayley Stephens (#1) hits the ball off the fingertips of Ashley Winet (#20) of East Los Angeles. Stephens finished the match with seven kills. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata

The final home match of the 2015 Cerritos College women’s volleyball season did not disappoint any Cerritos fans on Wednesday,Nov.11.

Nicole Spigner posted 10 kills along with Jasmine Peralta, getting 17 digs and Natalie Caravantes picking up 31 assists as the Falcons swept away the East Los Angeles College Huskies 25-19, 28-26, and 25-19 in front of 76 people at the Aviary to finish the home portion of the season and sweep the season series against the Huskies.

“We just had to play our game,” Spigner said. “We didn’t let up and kept the momentum in our favor. We fought hard till the end.”

Head coach Teresa Velazquez-Ortega said, “We needed this match. It was the last one at home for this year and we wanted to go out with a bang.

“Everyone had to play, especially since some [players] won’t be back next year,” she added.

Right side hitter and setter Brenda Monzon, who had seven kills on the night, said, “The competition was tough. [East L.A.] had strong outside hitters and we had to stay mentally strong. [My kills] were from the same type of practice and I kept using it in this match.”

Middle blocker Kayley Stephens, who also had seven kills in the match, said, “We practiced harder and were more prepared. [East L.A.] is not a bad team, but we wanted this win more than they did.”

Cerritos, with the win, improved to 15-10 overall and 8-4 in South Coast Conference play as well as finishing with a 9-4 record on the home court.

The Falcons will play their final two matches of the 2015 season on the road starting on Friday, Nov. 13 at Los Angeles Trade Tech College and on Wednesday, Nov. 18 at El Camino College.

The start times for both matches will be at 6 p.m.

Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714