Women’s soccer advances to third round of playoffs

Amanda Del Cid
Amber Whitmore, Forward No. 21, (blue jersey) puts a header away past San Bernardino Valley College’s defender and goal keep. The goal was the second of the match. Photo credit: Amanda Del Cid

The clock had 10 minutes left in the second period of overtime, the score tied 2-2.

With a set piece play out of a corner throw giving forward Jaime Peters the opportunity to put the ball in the net.

Cerritos took the goal, and a 3-2 win to advance to round three of playoffs.

San Bernardino gave everything it had to the last minute, which made the match a difficult one for Cerritos, the three time defending champions.

Memo Gonzalez, associate head coach and head coach Ruben Gonzalez’s brother, was the coach on the line keeping the women on their toes and yelling orders as head coach Ruben Gonzalez advised from the stands.

Coach Memo said, “I thought San Bernardino [Valley College] played a great game[ …] they were up on us twice, but I think that shows a lot from our girls. They have that fight in them to keep working and battling.”

Forward Natalie de Leon said, “Honestly, it was amazing we were able to come back twice. We never gave up.”

The battle turned out to be an even fight through the whole 90 minutes and on into the two-15 minute overtime periods.

Memo said, “San Bernardino did a great job defensively. Absolutely it was an even game.”

Forward Peters said, “They were a good team I have to give it to them. Their forwards worked well together.” She said of San Bernardino Valley’s offensive game.

Head coach of the Wolverines, Kristine Hauge said sarcastically, “It’s great to be up twice. I think we did some good things, we started spread them a little bit defensively, found some seams.”

She added, “Cerritos is a very dynamic team, even with the lead we knew it was going to be a battle the entire time.”

Hauge said that there were no changes to their practices in preparation for the Cerritos match up saying, “We have things that we do well. We planned to play our game and try to make Cerritos play our style.”

She stated the set pieces were where the Cerritos team held the advantage. She said, “It’s those little things like set pieces that can really make the difference.”

Memo also attributed the teams fitness to how they pulled through to the end.

Peters said, “Our fitness level definitely paid off today, we stuck through the whole game.”

The team has a new found confidence going into the next round knowing that comebacks are possible.

“We were down twice,” de Leon said. “And we were able to comeback. We’re going in there with a lot of confidence.”

Peters said, “Today we definitely had to pay for [not completing our chances] early. I was scared, there was fire under my butt telling me to go faster.”

Peters was the player who put away the match with the winning goal for Cerritos.

She said, “It’s amazing to know that I was able to score in such a crucial moment for my team.”

“Scoring goals is awesome,” she added. “But scoring big goals is just the best feeling ever. It’s kind of like all your hard work paid off.”

Cailey Avilla Hogue, San Bernardino Valley last man said, “They had a very great offensive team they were very direct. It was unfortunate that we lost”

She said that the team trained all season to make it all the way.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Hogue added.

She continued, “We definitely wanted to go all the way. Both teams played really well today and it was unfortunate that it didn’t go our way. But good luck to them and next season we’re going to come and we’re going to bring it.”

In the next round Cerritos will face off with Santiago Canyon. The teams facing off for the fourth time in battle for the state title.

“It’s only going to get harder,” Coach Memo said. “We’re playing Santiago who we’ve played the last three times in finals. It’s going to be a battle.”

Amanda Del Cid, Social Media Editor
Amanda Del Cid, 20 years old. 
Current Social Media Editor of Talon Marks. 
Previously EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural  Literary magazine, and Co EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural news paper.
Played two seasons on the Cerritos College Tennis team.
Catch me around campus, we love to here from students and readers.
Follow at
Twitter: @delmanda94