Jaramillo’s Olympic goal secures spot at CCCAA finals

Freshman Jamie Peters seals the ball from Fresno City defenders. Peters scored the game-winning goal in the first half. Photo credit: Christian Gonzales

Freshman Carolina Jaramillo scored a goal that others soccer players dream of playing the sport. Jaramillo scored in the 61st minute from a corner kick that she kicked herself curving to the top corner of the goal.

Cerritos women’s soccer team played in the semifinals of the CCCAA State Championship against Fresno City College on Friday, Dec. 4 at De Anza College.

The Falcons advanced to the championship game for the fourth year in a row by scoring all three of their goals on set pieces from corner kicks against the Rams with the final score being 3-1.

The women’s soccer team are defending state champions and have won its last three years in the CCCAA, will face the winner of the other semifinal match between Modesto College or Rio Hondo College at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 6 at De Anza College.

Jaramillo said, “To tell you the truth I did try to shoot it, I never thought I would score like that and I’m blessed for the goal.”

The Falcons did not look nervous as they scored 13 minutes into the match for the first goal from a corner kick from Jaramillo to freshman Amber Whitmore, who headed the ball into the back of the Rams net.

The Rams then responded as they scored from a mistake as the ball went over freshman goalie Ruby Nichols and bounced into the net to score the equalizer was freshman Denisse Aguirre in the 28th minute.

Tied 1-1, it wasn’t long before Cerritos responded and answered five minutes with a corner kick taken by freshman Jackie Garcia who kicked the ball into the crowded box and connected with teammate freshman Jamie Peters to score in the 33rd minute.

Peters on the teams win said, “I thought we worked really hard and there were times [Fresno City] worked harder than us, but in the end we wanted it more and put three goals away.”

Leading at the half Cerritos just dominated the ball with possession and looked to kill the time.

Jaramillo scored from the corner in the 61st minute that led for a bigger cushion for the Falcons as its defense had to not allow the Rams to counter with a goal.

Head coach Ruben Gonzalez said, “Being a semifinal game, I think we played good at time, but not one of our better games I think, but we scored when we needed to and play better on Sunday,

“We have a couple of special players (Jaramillo) she had an assist and goal today and she is a difference maker and today she stepped up big,” he added.

Gonzalez doesn’t know much of Modesto College or Rio Hondo and expects a win from his team, bringing home the championship.

Christian Gonzales, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Christian Gonzales. This fall semester I am the Sports Editor for Talon Marks. This is my third year at Cerritos college. I enjoy talking about sports like basketball, football, tennis,and soccer. IG:ChrisG_Sports Twitter:ChrisG_Sports