Falcons prepare to take the mound in upcoming season

Head coach Ken Gaylord is very optimistic about the makeup of his team prior to it 2016 campaign starting.

However, he is very careful not to put too many eggs in one basket.

The season is set to start Saturday, Jan. 30 at Mt. San Jacinto at 1 p.m

Team Chemistry

For Gaylord and staff, the team is devised of 15 freshmen and 14 sophomores.

He feels as though the healthy mix is important however, the luxury of having sophomores cannot be taken for granted.

“We’ve got some older guys that have been around, I’m hoping that will help,” Gaylord said.

The team ended the season 22-15 (14-7 in conference), the year came to an abrupt end as the Birds suffered a crucial 6-2 loss to Riverside in the Regional Round single elimination game.

The players and coaches have since put that game and the season behind them. The team is now focused on continuing to build its chemistry.

Sophomore outfielder Mark Pena said, “We’ve been working together since the summer so we’re getting some good chemistry.”

He is also very aware that there is only so much the team can grow without having that on the job training so to speak.

“Its something that has to be worked on during the season,” Pena said.

Batting

The long ball was not apart of the Birds offensive scheme much last year as the team combined for only eight homeruns on the year.

Gaylord insists that it was because of the switch in bats throughout college baseball nationwide.

“I think if you look at the state’s statistics we’re slightly above average,” Gaylord said.

The bats changed from BSR to BB Core.

According to both Pena and sophomore catcher Gary James the new BB Core bats have less of a sweet spot.

A sweet spot is another term for maxium power once contact is made with the baseball.

Despite the change in bats for the team, Gaylord still feels he has multiple players on his team that can drive the ball and even send the ball over the fence.

One player is the aforementioned Mark Pena.

“It’s not mental, it’s just putting a good swing on it, that’s where it counts,” he said.

In addition to Pena, Gaylord credited James with the ability to lift the ball out of the ballpark.

“I agree with it, I had two homeruns in one of our Fall Ball games, and I can drive the ball gap to gap,” James said.

However, if the long ball continues to be an issue for the team Gaylord has no problem implementing a Kansas City Royals style of baseball in running a small-ball type of offense.

A style that won the Royals the World Series title just a little over three months ago.

If it works in the professional ranks maybe it could work in the collegiate ranks right? Gaylord thinks so.

“This year we’ve got better speed so I think we’ll run more,” Gaylord said.

Last season, under the tutelage of Gaylord the team stole 45 bases to only being caught stealing 16 times.

According to Gaylord one thing that hurt the Birds possibly the most on the offensive end was the loss of shortstop Daniel Lopez.

Lopez suffered a significant elbow injury last season in the seventh game and was forced to sit out the remainder of the season.

“Sitting out last year made me really appreciate it more,” Lopez said.

He added that he was excited to start the season and get back on the field for his teammates.

Pitching

Another major reason for the success for Cerritos last season was the great pitching it received throughout the season.

However, both Ryan Arambula and Kyle Carpenter have moved on from the team and now a new No. 1 starting pitcher has to be thrown into the mix.

Gaylord was quiet to give too many details about his final depth chart however, he did give a little insight on his pitching staff.

“Our pitching staff really came on during the half-way point of conference, this season we don’t have an all conference guy coming back. We’ve got four guys right now that are competing…If you ask me from the performance in the fall I would say [sophomore] Jonathan Marriott [will be the number one pitcher],” Gaylord said.

Marriott weighed in on his coach’s comments saying, “I think it’s really nice of him, last year I just worked my ass off, I’m just thankful he gave me the opportunity,” Marriott said.

Gaylord was quick to say that it will still be a team effort in terms of starting pitching mentioning the names of Adrian Ramirez, Carlos Hernandez, Travis Bonner, Sean Kinnicult and Valentin Flores-Gomez.

Starting pitching isn’t the only change the team will be forced to endure during the upcoming season. Closing pitcher George Mendoza is no longer a part of the team as Jerald Johnston will have to fill the void this season.

“He did a good job last year and he got some good saves for us,” Gaylord said.

Last year, Johnston actually recorded six saves while Mendoza only had five saves. Johnston was still in shock when he found out he was named an honorable mention on the All-South Coast Conference team.

“I was shocked to be honest. To be named an honorable mention is a blessing in itself. Johnston said. “To not be the biggest guy out there and going out there as a freshman closer and do my job,” he added.

Johnston stands five foot-eight inches and weighs 180 pounds but plays much bigger than that.

Following the big season Johnston is more than ready to get back on the diamond.

“I’m ready. I just want to do anything to help my team succeed,” he said.

Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!