Misa mashes home run in opening day win

The tenth ranked Cerritos Falcons beat the ninth ranked Saddleback Gauchos 8-2 Wednesday, Jan. 27.

Head coach Kodee Murray couldn’t be happier with the teams start.

“We played outstanding, we had returners in pitching position, shortstop position, and second base position but none of those players have played in those positions before, so we were basically a brand new team,” she said.

“We played together and worked hard as a team to do what they did, the women scored in five of the seven innings,” Murray added.

In the first inning the women had two errors, but Murray was not really concerned about them too much.

“Just jitters, early season jitters, good teams can overcome some problems and that’s what that shows me is that even though we gave something away they could come right back and battle through it,” said Murray.

Hitting was not an issue for the Falcons during the game,as they compiled 13 total hits.

Four of those hits came from sophomore Jezeree “Miti” Misa.

Misa went four-for-four with three singles and a home run for a total of five RBIs.

“My approach to this game was different, I had more confidence and I just went in there determined every time at bat,” Misa said.

In the top of the first inning Misa with a full count hit a home run with two players on base.

She wasn’t even aware that she hit a home run.

“I thought I was just going to score the runners, probably get a double, then I seen it drop over the fence,” she said,

Murray was pleased with the Misa’s consistency at the plate.

“She just stepped up, she had composure she kind of did it all, she played well at the plate, had a good eye in what she was looking to hit and didn’t chase pitches, she made plays in the outfield and played big,” Murray said.

Sophomore Jenny Navarro said, “For our first game coming out everybody was focused on doing our jobs out here at the plate and defense.”

“Our offensive is very powerful everybody here has the same goal, if we see a runner in scoring position, we want to score our runner, hitting is contagious” Navarro said.

Fellow sophomore Raquel Norzagaray said, “We have a really great team together because even though it was our first game if someone had a bad game we picked each other up.”

Next up for Cerritos is Riverside College on Friday, Jan. 29.

Toni Reveles, Staff Writer
Hey my name is Toni Reveles, I'm 22 years old and I'm a journalism major. I love to write, my main passion to write about is sports and music. I love Basketball (Lakers) and Football (Raiders). I hope to be the next Erin Andrews and work for a television or radio station that covers sports and music. Hopefully you readers enjoy my stories!