Water polo and persistence molded Garcia

The bond that Danny Garcia and his brothers forged over sports has turned him into who he is today.

He followed in the steps of so many others in order to achieve his dreams.

However, once faced with a tough injury Garcia was forced to rethink his present plans and make some difficult decisions.

After completing his time at Cerritos, he has since became a chiropractor in Orange County.

Despite no longer playing a sport, Garcia keeps the sports alive in his heart and his mind throughout his constant inspiring work.

The Road More Traveled

“When I was growing up there were two sets of kids. Kids from the late 80s into the early 90s and kids from the late 90s into the early 2000s,” Garcia recalled.

One thing both sets of kids had in common was the educational plan.

“At that time everybody went to Gahr and then Cerritos so I’ve always had a positive outlook on Cerritos,” he said.

Garcia has three brothers Andy, Ben, and Robbie. All of which followed the same schooling plan.

For a stretch spanning eleven years there was someone from the Garcia family at Cerritos.

Ben attended Cerritos from 1995-1996, Andy was a Falcon from 1997-1999, Danny took stage in 2000-2003 and lastly, Robbie finished the legacy from 2003-2005.

All competed in water polo and/or swimming and diving at Gahr high school and Cerritos College.

Danny said, “There was a competitive dip but I feel I left better.

“I’m happy as I look back and I can say I did my best.”

Playing Days

“Coming out of high school, I didn’t feel I was ready for a four-year university. My game wasn’t ready[and] I had just dislocated my shoulder,” Garcia said.

In addition to the dislocation of the shoulder, he tore cartilage as well; something he admits has never been the same since suffering the injury.

“It was the perfect choice for me. A lot of people said ‘it wasn’t good to go to a community college,’” he reflected.

Garcia knew that everybody’s road to success is different, so he did not let what people said affect him or his decisions.

“My parents didn’t pay for my schooling so it was perfect for me to stay at home and save money plus, I met some fantastic teachers,” he said.

He admitted that he always thought he would end up in a profession as an engineer just as the older generations of his family.

However, that was changed once he met biology professor Wayne D. Johnson.

“I’ve always loved nature shows, the outdoors, hiking. I’ve always done very well in those classes and I finished at the top of the class,” Garcia said.

At that time, he changed his major from engineering to biology, a decision that would unknowingly shape his future forever.

He balanced the idea of a student-athlete as he recorded a 4.0 GPA during the 2002 season in which he swam as well.

In his first season playing water polo at Cerritos, Garcia reflected on the year under head coach Ron Parks as fun.

“That season was our first winning record in a while,” he said.

The Falcons would finish third in conference play and end the season with a loss in regionals.

In his last season playing water polo in 2003, Garcia relished in the opportunity to play with his younger brother Robbie one more time.

“Water polo is a very physical and passionate game. I remember at practices they were going at it and one time they actually got into a fight,” head coach of water polo Joe Abing said.

That season was also the team’s first season under Abing.

“I remember when [Abing] came you could see he was in it to win it. You could see we were more organized and under good leadership,” Garcia said.

With it being Abing’s first year he was open to learning from a veteran like Garcia.

“He showed me right away that anything was possible, taking over a program that wasn’t a successful program,” Abing said.

“We fed off of each other’s energy and motivation so it was really a good fit for him and myself,” he added.

That year Garcia recalls that the level of competition increased. Furthermore, the team still finished third in conference and had its season end in the regional round again.

Post-Playing Days

“Coming out of Cerritos, I went to Cal State Long Beach and majored in biology. I had no idea what I wanted to do,” Garcia admitted

During his time at Long Beach State he redshirted on its swim team. It was during that tie he injured his lower back while lifting weights.

“I never could get my back right. I went to all kinds of orthopedics and physical therapists but nothing worked until I went to see a chiropractor and that’s when it clicked,” Garcia said.

From that moment, on he worked day and night in order to enhance his biology background and turn it into a chiropractic career.

In 2009, he started Garcia Chiropractic.

Garcia said, “It was a huge transition. It was the biggest for me.”

In regards to students who feel as though it is not possible to achieve their dreams he said, “It takes a focused effort. You have to be in a good mood all the time which is the most energy costly thing.”

Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!