Men’s track and field starts off season strong

The Cerritos Falcons men’s track and field athletes marked their return to the track at the Mt. San Antonio College season opener on Friday, Feb. 5

The Falcons soared in field events earning top marks in throwing and jumping.

For the throwers, freshman Aladdin Abuhadba earned first place in hammer throw with a recorded distance of 37.55 meters.

His teammates, sophomore Daniel Polanco and, freshman , Isaiah Chavez also scored in their respective events.

Polanco recorded a distance of 36.00 meters putting him in fourth place in the hammer throw. Meanwhile, Chavez recorded a throw of 13.48 meters, in shot put, placing him third in the event.

Long jumpers excelled in their respective events with Cerritos athletes taking three of the four top positions.

First place winner, Vincent Calhoun, earned his spot when he jumped a distance of 7.05 meters on final jump attempt.

Joining him in top positions were teammates Terrell Coleman and Blair Robinson. Coleman took the third spot jumping a distance of 6.71 meters.

The attempt was about .10 meters more than Robinson who had a recorded jump of 6.62 meters which earned him the fourth spot in the competition.

Pole vaulters were able to round out the top ten in their event with Andrew Hladeck placing seventh with an ending height of 4.07 meter and Danny Barrios finishing at ninth place with a finishing height of 3.92 meters.

Closing out the competition was the 400 meter relay, the 1600 meter relay and the 800 meter sprint medley.

The Falcon’s had a pair of 400 meter relay teams entered in the race. The two teams were neck and neck throughout the race.

At the end, Team A was able to beat out Team B by a little more than a tenth of a second allowing them to place third with a recorded time of 44.13. Team B placed fourth with a finishing time of 44.24.

Cerritos only had one relay team entered for the 1600 meter relay race which finished in fifth place with a posted time of 3:31.54.

The Falcons finished the meet off with a third place win in the 800 meter sprint medley which clocked in at 1:33.12.

The Falcons are set to compete again Friday, Feb. 26 at 10:30 a.m., at Falcon Field.

The finals will be the following day beginning at 10 a.m.

Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.