Men’s tennis soars over Ventura in sixth straight win

James Zhang getting ready to swing and send his opponent to a loss. Zhang won his singles competition in straight sets but lost in doubles. Photo credit: Miguel Meza

The Cerritos Falcons Men’s Tennis team (21-3) were able to notch yet another win to extend their current winning streak of six in a row with a 7-2 victory after defending their home against the Ventura College Pirates this past Tuesday, March 29th.

The day started with the doubles division ladder and featured a hectic set of vollies between the two teams, featuring a closely contended match up were the Falcons dropped one loss 8-1.

A clear highlight of the afternoon was the exhilaratingly close win from Oleksandr Krasnov and Nikitia Katnelson in what was a nail biter ending in 9-7.

The team wouldn’t lose for the rest of the day until the last match saw Nikita Katnelson give up a loss once the his squad had already got his back by sealing the deal around the halfway point.

Sophomore team captai Agustin Lombardi had another successful venture in the singles game going 6-3, 6-0, and was very adamant about his opponent post-game.

“The wind was blowing hard, so it’s tough for both players,” he said, continuing on to praise the his opponent.

“He has a good serve, so it was difficult to get used to it, but then in the end I kind of figured out to play him,” he added.

He also mentioned the growing sense of brotherhood in the team, and an earnest feeling of success among the group.

“We are all dreaming big,” he said, confident in the upcoming South Coast Conference Tournament were the team will have a chance at getting a rematch with reigning champions Irvine Valley.

The 1-9 loss from back in February in Irvine Valley territory obviously still looms over the team’s head as a benchmark for the elite of the conference, standing as their worst lost to put a blemish on their near perfect season.

James Zhang, who won his singles set 6-3, 6-0, was very clear about being in a focused mode for his team and keeping his eyes on the prize.

“We need to improve in the doubles,” he said, boldly challenging his team to improve so that they can be in tip-top shape for the tournament.

Freshman Kyle Konishi was calmly content with his team’s performance, saying that they “did well” in a day were he opted for an exhibition practice match from off the bench.

The next game for the Falcons will be at the College of the Desert this upcoming Thursday, March 31st in hopes to capture that 22nd victory.

Miguel Meza, Staff Writer
Miguel Meza is a second year student of Cerritos College. Apart from reporting for Talon Marks, Miguel is an independent filmmaker, showcasing his abilities through multimedia reporting throughout Talon Marks. A California native, he continues to strive to get the inside scoop on life.