Inexperienced talent leads Falcon football

Sophomore transfer quarterback Nick Mitchell said the “sky is the limit” on how good this Cerritos Falcons football team can be.

He also said that the team is “pretty good right now we just have to keep up the hard work in the next two weeks.

Last season, the team finished with a record of 8-2 in the regular season including a season opening win over reigning state champion Saddleback.

The season came to a close with a four-point last second loss to rival Long Beach City College.

Head coach Frank Mazzotta was excited to finally get a chance to play the team after years of back-and-forth banter.

However, Mazzotta expected them to be on the schedule but to no avail.

“It bothers me because they’re nine miles away. We’re driving to LA Valley and Long Beach and El Camino, these schools are five minutes away from us and they’ve been huge rivals,” he said.

The three losses came by a total of 14 points.

“I have a tape of our three losses, I took eight plays out of each of those games and I will show them if we hadn’t have done this and that,” Mazzotta said.

Despite the small quirks the team is excited heading into this new season with a new leader in the huddle, the aforementioned Mitchell.

“We’re trying to work with the things that he can do. Right now, I think he’s going to be limited in what he does, but he’s gotten better,” Mazzotta said.

Mitchell has five collegiate games at the Division I level under his belt.

Coming into this season Mitchell felt he has improved on his delivery of the football.

“I quickened up my release. It’s something I worked hard on this whole off-season,” he said

He will be defended by what some are calling the best offensive line in Cerritos College history.

“Our kids are pretty well coached. I think it’s the best offensive line group that offensive line coaches Mike Cardona and Adam Cox have had,” Mazzotta said.

With such a big burden being placed on the line, center David Alanouf feels the pressure but isn’t worried.

“It adds a little pressure but it also pushes me to lead the line for greatest and win this possible state championship,” he said.

One major key for the team is staying healthy on the offensive line.

Last season the team dealt with a multitude of injuries on that side of the ball including Alanouf, who “shattered his ankle,” in the season opener.

Despite the injuries last season running back Kishawn Holmes found success, including a three-game stretch where he accounted for 383 total yards and five touchdowns.

“It’s crazy. These guys move mountains, they’re huge. In terms of stats they should go up a lot. A lot,” he said.

On the defensive side of the ball the Falcons will be working with almost an entirely new defensive line as Raymon Price, David Fangupo and Danny Harry have all moved onto four-year universities.

“I think we have some bodies right now that are going to be able to fill the void for them,” Mazzotta said.

The secondary lost its fair share of players as well.

Anthony Murray, Thadd Daniels, Deon Smalls and DJ Reed will not be returning to the Falcons this season, a group that accounted for 10 of the team’s 15 total interceptions.

“I think we’re pretty talented in fact, in some places I think we’re better. We’re athletic, it just might take some time.” Mazzotta said.

Sophomore safety Elijah Walker said, “We have a couple of guys to help in the secondary. We have Brandon Ezell, last year he was slept on, he’s a lockdown corner[back].”

With plenty of storylines heading into this new campaign, Mazzotta still feels his team has a valuable shot at doing something special.

“We’re talented, a little inexperienced. But talent can outdo inexperience if they work hard,” Mazzotta explained.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!