Psychedelic art and its associations

Andrew Casillas
December 18, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features, Reviews

The word psychedelic evokes different images for various people. Oftentimes, people think of mushrooms or drug influence. If we open up our eyes we can see that psychedelics demeanor has been around for years to pass that wasn’t drug induced. Often times these works had a point to make.... Read More »

A prolific seed of music

Andrew Casillas
December 18, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features, Print

When we find ourselves in a struggle with somethings we might push it aside or into a corner of our mind. So was the case with Adam Valenzuela who had his first guitar when he was thirteen years old. After receiving his first guitar at thirteen he didn't start playing a lot more... Read More »

Imperialistic Picnic

Imperialistic Picnic

Andrew Casillas
December 18, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Sharing homemade sandwiches, chips and salsa in addiction potato with potato chips on top. The heart of the Imperialistic Picnic was in joy of giving. John Hogan went to art school MICA Maryland Institute College of Art ,then went to CAL Arts in the city of Valencia to finish off his schooling.... Read More »

HILL STORY !

Andrew Casillas
December 18, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features, Music

When we find ourselves in a struggle with day to day matters we might push it aside and tuck it into a corner in our mind. At Cerritos College there are many other issues going on other than school deep within students brains. For many students the hill mid day is a sweet haven.Adam... Read More »

Arts: Pages 4 and 5 of the December 11, 2013 issue

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Arts: Page 4 of the November 20, 2013 issue

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Arts: Page 4 of the November 6, 2013 issue

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Arts: Page 4 of the October 30, 2013 issue

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Artist society varying tenure show

Andrew Casillas and Gustavo Olguin
December 10, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features, Music, Reviews

At the end of every semester, the Artist Society holds an event depending on what ideas sprout out with the semester's group.In class, there tends to be a strict environment and students have to be serious. "Even though I play music and I try to do a lot of social interaction,... Read More »

New Black Flag Album called What the *&#$

Andrew Casillas
December 10, 2013

Black Flag is putting out their first album since the late 80's titled What the *&#$The group started in 1976 and jumped on the wave of punk rock playing the prime of their shows in the 80's.Near the time of punk's biggest peak they started recieving recognition amongst names... Read More »

Punt, pass, and kicking!

Andrew Casillas
December 10, 2013
Filed under Club News, News

"We wanted to bring the school together and thought kicking a ball as far as you can is good competition." said Deborah Jensen, the advisor of the Kinesiology Club. The Cerritos College Kinesiology Club held the first Punt, Pass and Kick Contest on campus. The event had no rules other than... Read More »

Raw and natural expression

Raw and natural expression

Andrew Casillas
December 10, 2013
Filed under Arts

Some would argue that there is a point to art. Some would say simply sometimes it's just looks nice. However, many would agree it is unimportant as long as it can evoke something deeper within yourself."I was always drawing as a kid and I used to loved to color, but as far as painting, seriously,... Read More »

Def Man’s Music Slideshow

Andrew Casillas, Arts Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under Arts, Arts & Entertainment, Features, Fine Arts, Multimedia, Music, Photo Slideshows + Galleries, Reviews

An inside look at Def Man's Music on the Cerritos College Campus at WPMD from noon-1p.m., Monday and Wednesday.

Grand Drag Supreme Slideshow

Andrew Casillas, Arts Editor
November 18, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, Campus Life, Multimedia, On campus, Photo Slideshows + Galleries, Slideshows

... Read More »

How to cook a Spanakopita

Denny Cristales and Andrew Casillas
November 15, 2013
Filed under Arts, Arts & Entertainment, Features, Movies, Multimedia, Video, Videos

The Cerritos College Culinary Arts program showcases how to make one of the appetizers available on the menu: A delicious spanakopita.

Free Speech Zone Legalization of Marijuana

Andrew Casillas and Solmayra Mendez
November 1, 2013
Filed under Free Speech Zone, Opinion, Opinions, Photo Slideshows + Galleries, Slideshows

... Read More »

Chorus teacher helps students’ harmony

Andrew Casillas, Arts Editor
October 31, 2013

"The first time is a mistake, the second, sure, you forgot, and the third time is foolishness," Anna DeMichele, teacher of the community choir class at Cerritos College, said about the mistakes her were making during rehearsal.   She began her teaching career at Cal State... Read More »

Project Love II

Andrew Casillas
October 23, 2013
Filed under News

A door creaks open to a room of individually wrapped packages and a lengthy adorned tree that symbolizes the occasion. Once a year, the heart-warming scene of a child opening up a Christmas gift and projecting it above himself in triumph happens. This might be a reality for some of us... Read More »

The Shock Doctrine

Andrew Casillas and Sebastian Echeverry
October 21, 2013
Filed under Arts, News

History is our lens to our future because the past shows where we have been and gives students and people a guideline on how to change. If we look back, there have been all kinds of deprivations and psychological shocks. Carolina Morales was the coordinator of this historical review of discontent... Read More »

Page 4 — Arts — 10/16/13

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Print

Dance Club is touching lives

Andrew Casillas and Amairani Mendez
October 15, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features

"I didn't even know it was a club I just walked in there, one of my friends said "hey, let's go see my friend!" engineering major Peter Rodriguez said about the Dynamic Dance Club. The club meets every first and third monday of each... Read More »

Something different at Zombie Fest

Trinity Bustria and Andrew Casillas
October 15, 2013
Filed under Arts, Club News, News, Student Government

Halloween is coming up and we've all seen the same form of celebrations year-after-year. Political science major Aldemar Sanchez is one of the masterminds behind a new, different way for Cerritos College to celebrate this day of horror by offering an idea that the Associated Students... Read More »

A rock ‘n’ roller’s jazzy dream

Andrew Casillas
October 15, 2013
Filed under Arts, Music, Reviews

The band consists of four members with Will Brahm on guitar, Rosy Rosenquist on drums, Ray Enix on bass and Simmons on keyboard. Simmons said, "I've had this band since 2005, but I've had a lot of different players who just rotate through." Simmons has been playing the keyboard for many years,... Read More »

Sounds of Q-dance

Trinity Bustria and Andrew Casillas
October 15, 2013
Filed under Arts

“Q-dance, Q-dance, Q-dance!” was what one group was chanting back and fourth to another while waiting in line to get into the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. With a space 54,000 square feet and a maximum capacity of 6,300 guests, there was going to be a huge turnout at the... Read More »

The ways of Mr. Robotnik

Eduardo Medina and Andrew Casillas
October 14, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features

There are wide ranges of dancing and the reasons people choose their favorite style is by experimenting. As a teenager, computer science major Nick Hambrick said that dancing for him was fun and considered it to be a hobby of his. Mr. Wiggles, a dancer widely known for his popping and locking, is... Read More »

Page 4 — Arts — 10/09/13

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
October 9, 2013
Filed under Print

The dance moves of Mr. Robotnik

Andrew Casillas and Eduardo Medina
October 7, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Multimedia, Photo Slideshows + Galleries, Slideshows

... Read More »

Page 4 — Arts — 09/11/13

Andrew Casillas, Arts editor
September 14, 2013
Filed under Print

... Read More »

Art Gallery shows off Clarke’s work

Andrew Casillas, Arts Editor
September 10, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features

James Mac Devitt, curator for the Cerritos College Art Gallery, hosted an art showcase at the gallery from 5-8pm on Sept. 3. This art show attempted to captivate a professional artist Marisa Alexander Clarke's 35 years of work through different styles of her art which really... Read More »

Tips on staying cool

Andrew Casillas
September 9, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Everyone has been talking about this heat wave that has been hitting California for weeks. With the summer season still in progress and several students suffering from seizures due to the heat, it is important not to take this heat lightly. Having a water bottle is a good idea, a step up from that... Read More »

Check out Cerritos College clubs

Andrew Casillas and Andres Patricio
September 9, 2013
Filed under Club News, News

There are multiple clubs available to students that cover a wide range of interests including conventional and un-conventional options such as a "Harry Potter" Club, an Anime Club and a Wilderness Club. Biomedical major and president of the Wilderness Club David Garcia, feels that his... Read More »

Men’s Soccer wins opener

Men’s Soccer wins opener

Andrew Casillas
September 3, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Soccer, Sports

Men’s soccer head coach Benny Artiaga was content with the team’s 1-0 win against Rio Hondo College at home (Cerritos College) on Tuesday, Aug. 27. "When your team still comes out on top, that’s the type of team that shows a lot of character,” head coach Artiaga commented... Read More »

Women’s soccer ready to grind

Andrew Casillas and Sebastian Echeverry
August 26, 2013
Filed under Soccer, Sports

The Cerritos College women’s soccer team scrimmaged against Vanguard university on Wednesday, Aug. 21 at the Cerritos soccer field and are prepared for the upcoming season. Although the score was not kept on the score board, the objective of the game was to evaluate certain strengths and weaknesses... Read More »