The anxiety begins to build-up: Finals Week

Daniel Green, Contributor
May 13, 2014
Filed under News

All semester college students try to keep up with class work while balancing other priorities in their lives. Finals week is the true test of the skills and knowledge students have mastered throughout the semester. “Between work and 16 units, it’s pretty stressful,” said Eric Delatore. It... Read more »

News: Page 2 of the December 11, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 1 of the December 11, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 2 of the November 20, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 1 of the November 20, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 2 of the November 6, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 1 of the November 6, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 2 of October 30, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 16, 2013
Filed under Print

News: Page 1 of October 30, 2013 issue

Daniel Green, News editor
December 16, 2013
Filed under Print

Keep guns out of class

Daniel Green
December 12, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Arming teachers and administrators in schools is a dangerous and risky move that brings more problems to schools. After events such as Columbine and Sandy Hook, many start to wonder how we could have prevented them. One town in Arkansas has taken a step that some politicians and... Read more »

Cerritos College tries to balance providing classes and staying afloat during tough recession

Daniel Green
December 10, 2013
Filed under News

Beginning in November, students have waited patiently for their registration dates to try to enroll in the classes they need for next semester. In recent years students have had a hard time getting in to classes especially those considered to be “core classes” such as Math and English... Read more »

The Child Development Club presents ‘Talent Show For A Cause’

Larissa Morales and Daniel Green
December 6, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Multimedia, News, On campus, Video, Videos

The Child Development Club hosted its very first "Talent Show For a Cause" on Dec. 3 to help raise money and toys.

Studies first, games second

Daniel Green, News Editor
November 14, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Video games can be a fun way to enjoy time with family or friends, but problems occur when they start to eat into study time. With the fall semester over halfway done, students need to focus on passing classes instead of the new game consoles being released this holiday season. For those... Read more »

Is college still a path to a better life?

Daniel Green
October 29, 2013
Filed under Club News, News, Showcase

Students attend college for different reasons, but a common one would be for a chance at a better life. “I wanted to get a better future and potentially earn more money," Jose Trejo, mathematics major, said. Education is a bridge to a better... Read more »

Floats take center stage

Floats take center stage

Daniel Green
October 29, 2013
Filed under Club News, News, Showcase

Of the many sights seen in Falcon stadium, superheroes and wizards are not normally among them. Cerritos College clubs arrived at Falcon Stadium to show off the Comic-Con themed floats that they built for homecoming on Saturday. The designs ranged from Power Rangers to Tomb Raider. Phi Theta... Read more »

Plastics program gives students look at future

Daniel Green
October 29, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

After the long hours of studying and classes, many students can lose sight of what they are striving for. Students from the Composite Fabrication class got the chance to see what skills they are learning when one of the students, John Misumi, brought in a prototype of a car built from composites. “I... Read more »

Page 1 — News — 10/21/13

Daniel Green, News editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Print

Page 2 — News — 10/16/13

Daniel Green, News editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Print

Students’ experience at journalism conference

Daniel Green
October 13, 2013
Filed under News

Talon Marks was awarded with two awards of excellence at the 2013 Southern California conference held by the Journalism Association of Community Colleges. The brand received an award of General Excellence for the print edition of the paper as well as General Online Excellence for the talonmarks.com... Read more »

Page 2 — News — 10/09/13

Daniel Green, News editor
October 9, 2013
Filed under Print

Page 1 — News — 10/09/13

Daniel Green, News editor
October 9, 2013
Filed under Print

Giving students a hand

Daniel Green
October 8, 2013
Filed under Club News

Since being signed into law, the Patient Protection andAffordable Care Act has garnered mixed emotions from Americans such as chemistry major George Mariscal. “Personally, I do not support Obamacare...I don’t agree with every American having to buy healt hcare," Mariscal said. "I... Read more »

Dominance follows struggles

Dominance follows struggles

Daniel Green
October 3, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Soccer, Sports

In a dominant victory, the women’s soccer team made a strong statement in its home game by shutting out Los Angeles Harbor College 9 - 0 Tuesday, Oct. 1. The Falcons struggled early on in the first half of Tuesday’s game against Los Angeles Harbor College. While the team managed to... Read more »

Talon Marks: Page 2 — News — 09/25/13

Daniel Green, News editor
September 25, 2013
Filed under Print

... Read more »

Talon Marks: Page 1 — News — 09/25/13

Daniel Green, News editor
September 25, 2013
Filed under Print

... Read more »

Take one and then go away

Take one and then go away

Editorial Board and Daniel Green
September 24, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Every day, students deal with numerous distractions from every direction such as work, family or the media. It can be hard to block out these distractions and find a way to focus on class and assignments or just relax. The campus should be one of the few... Read more »

Page 2 — News — 09/11/13

Daniel Green, News editor
September 14, 2013
Filed under Print

... Read more »

Center for Teaching Excellence focuses on faculty

Daniel Green
September 10, 2013
Filed under News

The Center for Teaching Excellence officially opened in the Cerritos College Library on Thursday with a ceremonial ribbon cutting. The center coordinator Dr. David Betancourt said, “The mission of the center is to provide professional development for our faculty, and also to provide... Read more »

News Blog for week of 8/27/13

Daniel Green
August 31, 2013
Filed under News

School continues to prepare for accreditation visit.The self-evaluation for Cerritos College's accreditation is still going strong. The teams from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) are expected in March. The school is confident in the... Read more »

Page 2 — News — 08/28/13

Daniel Green, News Editor
August 28, 2013
Filed under Print

The news section -- page 2 of the August 28, 2013 issue of Talon Marks.

Page 1 — News — 08/28/13

Daniel Green, News Editor
August 28, 2013
Filed under Print

The news section -- page 1 of the August 28, 2013 issue of Talon Marks.

More books can now be rented from the book store

Sebastian Echeverry and Daniel Green
August 27, 2013
Filed under News

The changes to the rental program came into effect at the beginning of the semester. According to store manager Mando Quatel, last semester the store had been offering about 20 to 25 percent of textbooks for rent. "Our goal was that we wanted to be... Read more »

The many ways to ease that college life stress

Daniel Green
August 27, 2013
Filed under News

The start of a new semester can bring challenges and stress for college students. The challenges that students face can differ depending on if a student is entering college for the first time or is a continuing student. For students entering college for the first time, they can sometimes feel out... Read more »

Faculty and friends bid farewell to longtime colleague

Daniel Green
August 27, 2013
Filed under Features, News

Faculty and other members of the school gathered to say good bye to Bryan Reece is leaving Cerritos College to take a job at a new college. Since he started at Cerritos College 23 years ago Reece as a part-time instructor Reece has held different positions during his tenure, such as Faculty Senate... Read more »

Accreditation

Daniel Green
August 27, 2013
Filed under News, Student Government

In preparation for a review from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC), Cerritos College has begun the self-evaluation processes for the college and its services. “It’s a self-reflection," Dr. Frank Mixson, Co-Chair of the Accreditation Faculty said. "It’s designed... Read more »

Liberal Arts building evacuated after smoke detected

Daniel Green
July 17, 2013
Filed under News

Students and faculty were evacuated from the Liberal Arts building after smoke was detected in the building around two o’clock on Wednesday .Inside the elevator maintenance room, some equipment started to release smoke, according to campus... Read more »

Therapy dog on campus

Therapy dog on campus

Daniel Green
June 6, 2013
Filed under Club News, News

Hudson is a very busy dog, not only is he a therapy dog who is used in the Student Health Center, he has helped raise money for animal shelters. On Monday, May 13, a group of students from a social psychology class set up on the sidewalk outside the library to raise money for the Southeast Area Animal... Read more »

Anti-abortion activists speak out

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 16, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, News

“We’re here for the Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust.” said Mary Rose, a volunteer who was invited to Cerritos College by religious studies major Jose Espinoza. The Survivors are a Christian, pro-life activism group, that target high school and college age adults. According... Read more »

Anti-abortion activists speak out

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 16, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, News

A look back at the crime of the semester

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 14, 2013
Filed under News

Last semester the college was plagued by a series of break-ins and vandalism across campus that resulted in stolen property and damage to offices. Since then campus police have installed extra security and have raised the presence of officers on campus. According to Chief Richard... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 14, 2013
Filed under News

Therapy dog on Cerritos College campus

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 14, 2013
Filed under News

Hudson is a very busy dog, not only is he a therapy dog who is used in the Student Health Center, he has helped raise money for animal shelters. On Monday a group of students from a social psychology class set up on the sidewalk outside the library to raise money for the Southeast Area... Read more »

Therapy dog on Cerritos College campus

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 14, 2013
Filed under News

Iron Man 3 goes in a different direction

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 14, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

"Iron Man 3" is a strong entry in to the Iron Man trilogy. Even with some flaws, the movie manages to avoid being a paint by numbers superhero movie and throws twists and turns that even the most avid comic book reader will not see coming.Director Shane Black take the story in a different direction... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 14, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Sermons are for churches only

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 8, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Creationism is the belief that the World was created was created by God as described in the bible. Why we should be respectful of people who hold this belief? It needs to be kept separated from science classes. In recent years religious fundamentalists have pushed for... Read more »

Sermons are for churches only

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 8, 2013
Filed under Opinion

May 8, 2013 – Page 3 – News

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 7, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

May 8, 2013

Page 3

Talon Marks PageClick image to see full pdf.

May 8, 2013 – Page 3 – News

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
May 7, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

May 8, 2013

Page 3

Expanded Wi-Fi might not reach every student

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 24, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, Campus Life, News

Even though Cerritos College's campus Wi-Fi has expanded since the beginning of the 2013 spring semester, woman’s studies major Irene Aceituno has had difficulty connecting to the internet. "The Wi-Fi used to connect on my Kindle but then it stopped. Now, I usually use my phone as... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 24, 2013

Anthropology Club attracts students

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 24, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, Campus Life, Club News, Features, News

When Anthropology Club President Cierra Sorin took her first anthropology class she was only focused on completing her science requirements, but she found herself becoming fascinated with the subject. “I had a really bad experience in high school with biology. So I said 'Physical... Read more »

Anthropology Club attracts students

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 24, 2013

April 24, 2013 – Page 2 – News

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 23, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

April 24, 2013

Page 2

April 24, 2013 – Page 2 – News

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 23, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

April 24, 2013

Page 2

April 10, 2013 – Page 2 – News

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 9, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

April 10, 2013

Page 1

April 10, 2013 – Page 2 – News

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 9, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

April 10, 2013

Page 1

Candidates present ideas at Presidential and Trustee Debate

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 9, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

When describing his debate performance, presidential candidate, Juan Ramirez admits that he got off to a slow start, but is happy with the end result. “I felt I started off a little bit rocky. I wasn’t used to the time limit. Overall I think I got my message across. I feel I got... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 9, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

Students anxiously await Bioshock: Infinite

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 3, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

For Business Administration major Raul Cendejas the appeal of Bioshock has been the storytelling and the exotic world it takes place in. “What I liked about Bioshock the game is that they were all pretty much stories of “paradise lost”. In a way it was always just like a surreal... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
April 3, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

State of Education engages attending students

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 20, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

Technology and connecting with students was the focus of the fifth annual State of Education that took place in the Burnight Center Theatre Tuesday, March 12. The State of Education is meant for professors and other leaders at Cerritos College to look at the successes and shortcomings... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 20, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

Students receive info on domestic violence

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 12, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

Kinesiology Major Andrew Casillas really didn't know what to expect when he attended the Domestic Violence Workshop for extra credit, but was impressed by what he learned. “I thought (the workshop) was very informational and…when I went in I didn't know what domestic (violence)... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 12, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

Part one of Falcon Games bring competition to Cerritos College

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 12, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, Campus Life, Club News, News

The Anthropology Club beat out other clubs to emerge as the winner of part one of the first ever Falcon Games that took place Monday March 11. Anthropology major Lauren Didio was happy that the club had done so well. “I was looking forward to (the Falcon Games) the most,... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 12, 2013

God of War takes gamers back to the beginning

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 5, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

The God of War series known for over top battles and compelling stories is back and while loyal fans will be happy to know that the game will be familiar, it brings something new to the table. "God of War: Ascension, the latest entry in the series is set to be released on March 12. The... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 5, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Law and order

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 1, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

Prosecutors should not always be punished for sending the wrong person to jail. Last month activist Aaron Swartz killed himself, one reason given were the charges he faced that could have sentenced him to 30 years in prison. Since then, many have called for action against US... Read more »

Law and order

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
March 1, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

Prosecutors are just part of a system

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
February 28, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Prosecutors are just part of a system

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
February 28, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Dark Skies leaves viewers in the dark

Dark Skies leaves viewers in the dark

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Dark Skies is movie with an interesting concept, but it fails to deliver on story and scares by relying too much on clichés and execution. The story revolves around the ordinary Berrett family trying to cope with unexplained incidents around there home. While the events start... Read more »

Dark Skies leaves viewers in the dark

Dark Skies leaves viewers in the dark

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Radio shows at WPMD return to air waves

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
February 26, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

After being shut down last semester Cerritos College's radio station, WPMD, has returned to the airwaves. The station started broadcasting in 1999 on 1700 AM and eventually started streaming radio shows on the internet. Mass Communications department chair Richard Cameron explained... Read more »

Radio shows at WPMD return to air waves

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
February 26, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, News

Grand Theft Auto V said to be the biggest game from the franchise

Daniel Green
February 6, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

After five long years, Grand Theft Auto fans can rejoice now that Rockstar Games has announced the latest entry in the series, "Grand Theft Auto V." In this game, players will find themselves in the fictional city of Los Santos, which is based off of Los Angeles. Business major... Read more »

Daniel Green
February 6, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

AB 540 students now eligible for financial aid under California Dream Act.

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
January 29, 2013
Filed under News

Accounting major Ulisess Rodriguez supports the Dream Act and believes that some AB 540 students deserve financial aid more than others who get it. Accounting major Ulisess Rodriguez supports the Dream Act and believes that some AB 540 students deserve financial aid more than others... Read more »

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
January 29, 2013
Filed under News

Video Games Are Not The Problem

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
January 17, 2013
Filed under Opinion

It is time to take responsibility and admit that video games do not influence our culture, but are influenced by it. While it may be true that video games have a high level of violence, these accusations fail to address the problems in our society. Since the recent school shooting... Read more »

Video Games Are Not The Problem

Daniel Green and Daniel Green
January 17, 2013
Filed under Opinion