Skipping class should be done with caution

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
April 22, 2014
Filed under Opinion

When you live in a world where everything is moving at 100 miles an hour, there are some days when you need to take a step back and say, "It's time for some me time." Whatever your situation is, whether it be a full time or part time student, who works, has to baby sit and needs to do homework and still... Read more »

How can they not find the missing Malaysian airplane?

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
April 14, 2014
Filed under Opinion

The Boeing 777 plane that went missing almost two weeks ago, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing over the Gulf of Thailand somewhere between Malaysia and Vietnam, has been raising a lot of speculation of the events that took place that caused the plane to go off radar. Many experts have come up... Read more »

ASCC candidates participate in debate before elections begin

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
April 11, 2014
Filed under News, Student Government

The third annual Presidential and Trustee Debate and Forum took place on Thursday in BK 111 and 112 at Cerritos College, hosted by Talon Marks. The candidates running include positions for Associated Students of Cerritos College president, vice president or student trustee. The... Read more »

Slideshows: ASCC Debate 2014

Slideshows: ASCC Debate 2014

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
April 10, 2014
Filed under News, Slideshows, Student Government

The 2014 ASCC presidential and student trustee candidates participated in a debate moderated by Talon Marks. ... Read more »

Hold on, let me take a selfie

Hold on, let me take a selfie

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
April 1, 2014
Filed under Editor's Picks, Opinion

Selfies or belfies, which are photos taken of your face or your entire body have become a huge craze in the recent year. They’re so popular that there is even a song out there right now that tells you to take a selfie. Selfies are such a part of our culture that I think every person... Read more »

Cerritos College gets chance to make student equity plan revision

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 31, 2014
Filed under News

Cerritos College has been given the opportunity to revise its student equity plan in order to help students along on their road to success. According to the Chancellor’s Office website, in 1991 the California Legislature charged all levels of public education to provide educational... Read more »

FSZ: How do you take the best selfie?

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 26, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Photo Slideshows + Galleries, Slideshows

... Read more »

Talon Talks: Is it still a man’s world?

Gustavo Olguin and Larissa Morales
March 24, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Video, Videos

The subject is more serious than previous episodes, but it's still something that should be discussed.  Everything points to it still being a man's world, but is that something that needs to be changed?  Gustavo Olguin and Larissa Morales give their insight into the issue. Olguin: Hey, welcome to... Read more »

FSZ: How do you feel about people being pinched for not wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day?

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 20, 2014
Filed under Opinion

How do you feel about people being pinched for not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day? 1. Eric Diaz Film Technology major "It's been a tradition and it could be for those that are into that tradition, but respect those that don't want to do the whole St. Patrick's Day thing." 2. Iza Teutoi Kinesiology... Read more »

It’s off to Portland: The Western Psychological Association

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 12, 2014
Filed under News

The Western Psychological Association is hosting its 94th annual convention from April 24 through April 27 in Portland, Oregon at the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront. The WPA hosts the event every year in order to bring professional psychologists, from different disciplines and the western region... Read more »

Slideshows: Free Speech Zone St. Patrick’s Day

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 10, 2014

... Read more »

What if Cerritos College loses its accreditation?

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 10, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Opinions

San Francisco Community College is losing its accreditation and it is raising a lot of questions from students and professors everywhere. According to onlinecourses.net, a loss of accreditation will force the... Read more »

Women’s history month essay contest in full swing

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
March 4, 2014
Filed under News

March is now upon us and with this month brings Women’s History Month. In honor of this, Cerritos College’s gender studies faculty is hosting a writing contest. Dr. Linda Palumbo, an English professor said, “We coordinate with the national theme each year for... Read more »

The importance of black history month

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 28, 2014
Filed under Opinion

The month is almost to an end and yet, there hasn't been much talk about Black History Month like there has been in the past years. Black History Month is observed not only in the United States, but also Canada during the month of February. Why have we not heard about it more? Do people not care... Read more »

Talon Talks: Valentines Day

Gustavo Olguin and Larissa Morales
February 21, 2014
Filed under Blogs, Love & Sex, Multimedia, Video, Videos

Gustavo Olguin and his new co-host, Larissa Morales, talk about Valentine's Day, love and money in their first installment of Spring 2014 Talon Talks. Olguin: Hello everyone. It's the first episode of Talon Talks. First one of the semester and as you can see, I have a new co-host. Go ahead and introduce... Read more »

Raising Awareness for Financial Aid

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 18, 2014
Filed under News

The Cerritos College Financial Aid Office hosted the second of its four part fair in order to help raise awareness for students on different aspects of financial aid on Thursday, Feb. 13 in between the library and the office. "Basically we're trying to make sure that students around the Cerritos (College)... Read more »

Slideshow: Senate Meeting of Jan. 22, 2014

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 13, 2014

... Read more »

So, no fear at Sochi?

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 13, 2014
Filed under Opinion

There's no way of telling what is going to happen in Sochi for the next couple weeks with the 2014 Winter Olympic games being played there. America already has received threats of attacks on Americans who go to Sochi and it's really unsafe for to have our American Olympians there right now. In... Read more »

Financial Aid event promotes awareness

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 13, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Slideshows

... Read more »

Should NCCA athletes get a piece of the cheddar?

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 12, 2014
Filed under Opinion

Living the american dream is on every college student's mind that first day of school. Making money is a huge reason why students choose to go to college and know that it won't be an easy ride to get the degree. Whether you're a student or a student athlete, you still have to work hard in order... Read more »

Smart Thinking: 24/7 online service for students

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
February 5, 2014
Filed under News

There is a new, free online tutoring service for students offered at Cerritos College who need a few extra hours of tutoring for their classes. Smart Thinking, the name of the company who is providing the online tutoring, is a service that is available 24/7 for any student who is either taking an... Read more »

Fashion with Spring

Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
January 16, 2014
Filed under Arts

With school starting so soon after the holidays, finding the perfect outfits for the new semester could either be a difficult task or an easy one due to how much you spent on those holiday gifts for friends and family. Being fashionable at a reasonable price is not impossible, though, according to... Read more »

Talent Show for a Cause: Where everyone is a Winner

Larissa Morales
December 10, 2013
Filed under News

The Child Development Club hosted its first talent show in order to raise toys and money for children who wouldn’t be able to receive gifts at Christmas this year.The goal of the show was to bring people from all around campus together to help out children and families... Read more »

Talent for A Cause: Where Everyone Is A Winner

Larissa Morales
December 10, 2013
Filed under Club News, News

Talent for A Cause: Where Everyone is A Winner is a talent show being held by the Child Development Club on Tuesday, Dec. 3 in the Student Center."Our whole goal is to have a fundraiser, but more of a toy drive," said the Child Development's co-president Jovanna Ledesma."It's... Read more »

Thanksgiving Bags for our Veterans

Larissa Morales
December 10, 2013
Filed under News

'Tis the season for giving and that's exactly what the Veteran Resource Center at Cerritos College is doing for this Thanksgiving holiday."This year we had a really difficult time with our veterans having food," said Nancy Montgomery, Associate Dean of Health, Wellness & Veterans.... Read more »

Catching Fire smells like movie of the year

Larissa Morales
December 9, 2013
Filed under Arts, Audio, Reviews

The second movie in the Hunger Games series will not let you down. Have you ever watched a movie after reading a book and realized that the director decided to add what he or she felt was necessary to make it better or worse? ... Read more »

The Child Development Club presents ‘Talent Show For A Cause’

Larissa Morales and Daniel Green
December 6, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Multimedia, News, On campus, Video, Videos

The Child Development Club hosted its very first "Talent Show For a Cause" on Dec. 3 to help raise money and toys.

Theaters are here to stay

Larissa Morales, Associate Opinion Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under Opinion

With movie theater prices on the rise, many people are opting out of heading to the theater and are choosing to stay home and watch their favorite movies in the privacy of their own home, but where is the fun in that? Sure, you get to stay home in your pajamas... Read more »

FSZ: How do you prepare for the upcoming semester?

November 19, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Jerrell Bradford Psychology major "I don't really prepare. I just go right into it and take it head on!" Roberto Juarez Theater major "I schedule for my classes, take a look at everything I have coming up and I plan accordingly." Andrew Rogers Theater major "By registering for the classes... Read more »

Veterans receive a helping hand during holidays

November 19, 2013
Filed under News

‘Tis the season for giving and that’s exactly what the Veterans Resource Center at Cerritos College is doing for Thanksgiving. “This year we had a really difficult time with our veterans having food,” said Nancy Montgomery, Associate Dean of Health,... Read more »

‘Ender’s Game’ review

‘Ender’s Game’ review

Larissa Morales
November 14, 2013
Filed under Arts, Audio, Reviews

For those of you who haven't heard of the book series for Ender's Game, do not worry! Director Gavin Hood decided to bring the book series onto the movie screens and in my opinion, it's a box... Read more »

Thank goodness for ‘Gravity!’

Thank goodness for ‘Gravity!’

November 6, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews, Showcase

Sandra Bullock is like a fine wine, she only gets better as time progresses. In Bullock's new film “Gravity,” directed by Alfonso Cuaron, shows that she can accomplish any role that is given before her. The film is about a medical engineer named Dr. Ryan Stone, played by Bullock, and her partner... Read more »

Ready, set, trot!

November 5, 2013
Filed under News

“This is our 16th year of doing the Turkey Trot here at Cerritos College and it’s a food drive,” Dr. Ni Bueno, an organizer of this fundraiser, said. The event, which will take place in Falcon Square on Nov. 21 at 11:00 a.m., is a race that stretches... Read more »

FSZ: Importance of a College Degree

Amairani Mendez and Larissa Morales
October 29, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Andrew Ballantye Creative writing major"It's what separates you from the rest of the people who are trying to get the same job or career you want in the future."Jacob Allen Criminology major "It gives you (a) higher level of intelligence... Read more »

Shutdown’s effect on veterans

Larissa Morales
October 8, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

Students are beginning to question what the government shutdown means and how it will affect them, but the real crisis is the toll that it's taking on the nation's veterans. As of now, the government shutdown has not had an effect on the benefits that our veterans receive, but if Congress cannot put... Read more »

FSZ: Government Shutdown

FSZ: Government Shutdown

Larissa Morales
October 8, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Free Speech Zone: What are your thoughts about the government shutting down?   Tera Lim, Computer science “I think the major issue with our budget problem deals with the military expenses and the standing army that we have. I just don’t necessarily support the government into... Read more »

No love for ‘The Family’

Larissa Morales
September 30, 2013
Filed under Arts, Audio, Audio-Podcasts, Multimedia, Reviews

No love for 'The Family' review, Robert De Niro is back! But before you get your hopes up, you should set your standards a little lower than expected. Robert De Niro is back! But before... Read more »

Free Speech Zone: How do you beat the heat?

Jessica Pacheco and Larissa Morales
September 7, 2013
Filed under Free Speech Zone, Opinion

“Drink a lot of water! Hydrate!” Angeline Kimic Child development “Wear light clothing and try not to carry so many books. Carry only what’s needed.” Marta Munoz Child development “Keep hydrated.... Read more »