Behind the Scenes of the Culinary Arts Program

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
May 21, 2014
Filed under Arts, Features, Video, Videos

The culinary arts program at Cerritos College teaches students how to perform in a professional kitchen by putting them through a kitchen experience of their own. The program runs a food service that allows the public to purchase food that is created by the students. Head Chef Mike Perini explains... Read more »

ASCC Spring Banquet honors, Aiello sweared in

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
May 13, 2014
Filed under Club News, News, Showcase, Student Government

The Associated Students of Cerritos College 2014 Spring Awards Banquet gave out awards to recognize students for the work that they have put in for the semester and inaugurated the new ASCC president and vice president. Bea Caballero won the Woman of the Year, the President’s Award and presented... Read more »

Hartl’s film ‘The Whexican’ is finalist at Tucson Film Festival

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
May 13, 2014
Filed under Arts

“The Whexican”, a short film that was put together by a crew of predominantly Cerritos College alumni, placed as one of the nine finalists at the Tucson Film Festival. The finalists have a chance to be shown on NuvoTV, a cable channel that is partially owned by Jennifer Lopez, as part of a showcase... Read more »

Active Minds helps students reduce stress

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
May 6, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Active Minds Club was on campus with multiple events to help relieve any negative things that the students might be going through as finals are approaching. The club had a puppy therapy station set up, paint balloon launch and had students write what stressed them out on balloons. While it wasn’t... Read more »

School mascot to make debut during fall semester

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
May 5, 2014

The Associated Students of Cerritos College have approved getting a school mascot after getting passed through cabinet and senate. Michael Timoney, the president of General Improvisational Peep Show Club, had presentations for both bodies and was the driving force behind getting a mascot on campus. “You... Read more »

Swimmer Moreno heading to South Coast Conference Championships

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
May 5, 2014
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Swimming

After placing fifth in the South Coast Conference Championships, the Cerritos College men's swim team has one swimmer to represent them at the state conference on Thursday, May 1 to Saturday, May 3. Swimmer Marlon Moreno, California qualified for the Community College Athletic Association Championships... Read more »

FSZ: How do you take a better selfie/ belfie(body selfie)?

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 30, 2014
Filed under Opinion

1. Giovanni Chanes, fire science major ... Read more »

Record setting swimmers have deep bond

Record setting swimmers have deep bond

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 22, 2014
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Swimming

Two members of the women’s swim team have qualified for state and one has a conference record under her belt from the South Coast Conference Championships on April 17 and 18. Freshman swimmer Amanda Loya has been trying to break the conference record since the beginning of the season... Read more »

Counselor center offers training at low costs

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 21, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

A former student of psychology professor Todd Gaffney has become the director of a counseling center and now gives training for anyone who is interested in becoming a counselor. Deana Porter was Gaffney’s student in the early 90s and is the director of the Low Cost Community Counseling Center, which... Read more »

Diving finishes within top five, swim continues

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 15, 2014
Filed under Sports, Swimming

The Cerritos College Diving team ends the season with a couple of top 5 finishes in the South Coast Conference Diving Championships this past weekend. The diving team earned 55 points that go toward the SCC Championships at Mount Sac. on April 17 and 18. Diving Coach Glen Myer is... Read more »

Anti-abortionists share their controversial message

Gustavo Olguin and Luis Guzman
April 10, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, News, On campus, Showcase, Video, Videos

The Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust visited campus on Tuesday, April 8 and brought pictures and handouts to educate the students of Cerritos College of the consequences of choosing to get an abortion. Students were split on what was justified for a woman to get an abortion. The Survivors of... Read more »

Job desires addressed through latest expo

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 9, 2014
Filed under News

People flocked to more than 40 booths that were operated by companies such as Knott’s Berry Farm and Target, as Cerritos College hosted the semi-annual Career Expo and Job Fair on Tuesday, April 8. Defense organizations such as the Los Angeles Police Department, Coast Guard and... Read more »

Spring Festival kicks off with carnival style games

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Spring Festival, formerly known as Hoedown Days, was in full swing on Tuesday, April 1, with clubs hosting a variety of games to help raise funds for their clubs. The booths were set up along Falcon Square with balloon animals, a trivia game and a puppet act entertaining the crowds that passed by... Read more »

New food vendors decided, will replace some current vendors in Fall 2014

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase, Student Government

The Frantones that has been in the food court for more than 20 years, along with two other vendors, will no longer be there when school starts up again this fall semester. The Italian food mainstay and Chicago Harv’s are going to be replaced by Fresh and Natural in hopes to bring healthier food... Read more »

Sleeping for more than just the pleasure

Luis Guzman and Gustavo Olguin
March 24, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Video, Videos

Learn how sleeping can actually affect your studying in a big way. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? Leave it down below in the comment section. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TalonMarks Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TalonMarksNews And... Read more »

Talon Talks: Is it still a man’s world?

Gustavo Olguin and Larissa Morales
March 24, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Video, Videos

The subject is more serious than previous episodes, but it's still something that should be discussed.  Everything points to it still being a man's world, but is that something that needs to be changed?  Gustavo Olguin and Larissa Morales give their insight into the issue. Olguin: Hey, welcome to... Read more »

Gustavo Olguin and Luis Guzman
March 24, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Video, Videos

Sleep seems to get lost in all the things that must get done so that you can get a good grade in school. However, it is more important than it gets credit for. Sleep can be the deciding factor whether you pass that upcoming test and needs to be taken seriously. See what Gustavo Olguin has to say about... Read more »

Talk of bias looming in ASCC

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
March 22, 2014
Filed under News, Student Government

Although ASCC Vice President Aldemar Sanchez was still allowed to run in the election, the decision has left people with a feeling that there is a bias in the way the ASCC government makes its decisions. ASCC Senator Miles Aiello, who is also running for a ASCC president, is considering... Read more »

Sanchez permitted to run despite infraction

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
March 22, 2014
Filed under News, Student Government

After a presidential election board special meeting, that took about 5 hours and split between two days, ASCC Vice President Aldemar Sanchez will be allowed to continue to run for student body president despite an infraction that he committed. Sanchez failed to turn in his statement... Read more »

March in March ‘an amazing experience’ for ASCC

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
March 18, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Cerritos College made the March in March available to all students for the first time and participated in the one mile march to the capitol building in Sacramento. ASCC President Juan Ramirez couldn’t hold back how important he thought the trip was for the students that went up... Read more »

Review: ‘Non-Stop’ packs a punch

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
March 4, 2014
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Liam Neeson shatters the idea of 'Non-Stop' being another movie that follows the 'Taken' movies and reminds everyone that he is still the... Read more »

‘Rebel without a Cause’ set to drive audiences on a wild ride

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
February 26, 2014
Filed under Arts, Performing Arts, Showcase

Cerritos College breathes new life into bad boy character Jim Stark in its production of “Rebel Without a Cause” that opens Friday, Feb 28.  Cristian Paul Martinez, who plays Plato, can feel the difference of the production based on the stage alone. “Stylistically it’s... Read more »

The growing beard trend

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
February 26, 2014
Filed under Features

The natural occurrence that is known as facial hair has taken over the world and it seems like that is growing on the people in America. According to Yahoo News, Procter & Gamble, which includes Gillette razors, has been losing sales due to the increased popularity of... Read more »

Raising funds for bullied boy

Raising funds for bullied boy

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under Club News, News, Showcase

Metropolis Comics will be holding a fundraiser on Wednesday, Feb. 26 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., to raise funds for a child that attempted to commit suicide after being bullied for being a fan of “My Little Pony.” Michael Morones is an 11-year-old boy from North Carolina that is... Read more »

Talon Talks: Valentines Day

Gustavo Olguin and Larissa Morales
February 21, 2014
Filed under Blogs, Love & Sex, Multimedia, Video, Videos

Gustavo Olguin and his new co-host, Larissa Morales, talk about Valentine's Day, love and money in their first installment of Spring 2014 Talon Talks. Olguin: Hello everyone. It's the first episode of Talon Talks. First one of the semester and as you can see, I have a new co-host. Go ahead and introduce... Read more »

Growing your face forest

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
February 13, 2014
Filed under Opinion

A beard can describe a man in one glance as either someone that looks like a bum or a tough person that knows what they are doing. Getting the impression that you want is based on how you maintain your beard and if you decide to take care of your beard. But if you... Read more »

He’s more than just an act

He’s more than just an act

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
January 31, 2014
Filed under Arts, Features, Showcase

Going from rock bottom to being part of your own film company can seem like a storyline for a movie, theater major Ivan Oyarzabal has made that story into a reality. “I dropped out of high school and I didn’t finish high school,” he said. “I moved out at 17. I used to run... Read more »

Students find ways to breaking free of bad study habits

Luis Guzman and Gustavo Olguin
January 30, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhxaaqjf9SI&feature;=share&list;=UUJKAqbBlY7sQFzWsCAlMoFg (Olguin) Hello everybody, it's Gustavo Olguin reporting with Talon... Read more »

Experience teaches returning players for new season

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
January 29, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Men's Sports, Sports

With the baseball season starting at the South Coast Conference Tournament Thursday, Jan. 30, head coach Ken Gaylord and his players feel like they are really to start the season. “I really feel good about my coaching staff. They challenge them and instruct them,” he said. “We... Read more »

Clubs seek recruits on Club Info Day

Gustavo Olguin , Managing Editor
January 28, 2014
Filed under Campus Life, Club News, Multimedia, News, On campus, Video

Club Info Day to showcase ways to get involved on campus

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
January 16, 2014
Filed under Club News, News

With the spring 2014 semester beginning , students are starting to get settled and becoming aware of Club Information Day and Night on Tuesday, Jan. 28 and Wednesday, Jan. 29. The event on Tuesday will be at 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the event will recommence at 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., and... Read more »

Opinion: Page 6 of the December 11, 2013 issue

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Editorial: Page 3 of the December 11, 2013 issue

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Editorial: Page 3 of the November 20, 2013 issue

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Editorial: Page 3 of the November 6, 2013 issue

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Editorial: Page 3 of the October 30, 2013 issue

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
December 17, 2013
Filed under Print

Final exams are for the individual

Gustavo Olguin
December 10, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Final exams are almost here and most students are either freaking out about the exams or projects that they have to do. However, final exams should be the way to test students on their knowledge of the entire course instead of assigning a final project. ... Read more »

Artist society varying tenure show

Andrew Casillas and Gustavo Olguin
December 10, 2013
Filed under Arts, Features, Music, Reviews

At the end of every semester, the Artist Society holds an event depending on what ideas sprout out with the semester's group.In class, there tends to be a strict environment and students have to be serious. "Even though I play music and I try to do a lot of social interaction,... Read more »

That’s what we said: Best way to succeed is to prepare

Gustavo Olguin
November 26, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Prepare so you don't fall behindThe semester is ending, but that doesn't mean it's time to slack off. You must start getting ready for the start of the Spring 2014 semester.... Read more »

Sophomore night ends season for volleyball

Gustavo Olguin
November 24, 2013
Filed under Sports, Volleyball

Middle blocker Chelsea James and Libero Ashley Castro were able to end their Cerritos College volleyball careers by winning in straight sets on sophomore night against Los Angeles Harbor College on Wednesday, Nov. 20.“I feel blessed that I got to play two years... Read more »

Talon Talks 4: Online Dating

Lauren Gandara and Gustavo Olguin
November 19, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia, Multimedia Editor, On campus, Video, Videos

Episode 4: Online dating

Talon Talks 3: Dating Classmates

Lauren Gandara and Gustavo Olguin
November 19, 2013

Episode 3: Dating your classmates?

Season ends after regional tournament loss

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Waterpolo

A triple ejection in the men’s water polo 13-9 loss to Golden West College ends the men’s water polo team's season with an overall record of 16-14 and a 5-2 in conference play last Friday. The conclusion of the game left players and coaches confused after the second... Read more »

Talon Talks

Lauren Gandara and Gustavo Olguin
November 19, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia, Multimedia Editor, Video, Videos

Episode 1: Homecoming at Cerritos College.

Prepare so you don’t fall behind

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under Opinion

With the end of the fall 2013 semester getting closer and closer, it is now time to start planning for the next semester. The first step that needs to be taken is scheduling an appointment with a counselor to see if you are on schedule to graduate or transfer. Councelors... Read more »

Food Vendor Task Force looks to change up food options on campus

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under News, Student Government

ASCC President Juan Ramirez is part of The Food Vendor Task Force that will have to put together a proposal to the Board of Trustees for the potentially 16 new vendors that could be on campus by the end of the Spring 2014 semester. “We just meet every other week on Tuesdays and... Read more »

That’s what we said: Hit the book before the games

Gustavo Olguin
November 19, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Studies first, games second With both the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 both coming out within a week of each other, you might be tempted to play these video games more than usual.... Read more »

Overconfidence plagues against Long Beach City

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion Editor
November 11, 2013
Filed under Sports, Volleyball

Team captain and libero Ashley Castro saw overconfidence as the reason for the volleyball team's 3-2 loss to Long Beach City College on Friday, Nov. 8. “We got really loose as a team and we couldn’t bring it back after that,” Castro said. Outside hitter Valerie... Read more »

High emotions heading into SCC Championships

Gustavo Olguin, Sports Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Sports, Waterpolo

The team captains of the women’s water polo team are feeling the surreal moment of the last practice of the season, but are ready to compete in the South Coast Conference Championships this weekend starting Friday, Nov. 8. “It’s kind of sad, because as a sophomore you know... Read more »

Mental Recovery from an ACL Injury

Mental Recovery from an ACL Injury

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion Editor
November 6, 2013
Filed under Audio, Audio-Podcasts, Showcase, Sports

Athletes such as Adrian Peterson, Robert Griffin the third and Mariano Rivera have made ACL injuries seem like they are not as devastating as before.  However the mental aspect of coming back from for an injury like that isn’t usually considered. According the the Orthopedic Surgery Department... Read more »

That’s what we said: College is still worth it

Gustavo Olguin
November 5, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The minority should not be the majority Cerritos College is a Hispanic prominent school, but that doesn’t mean that its ethnic makeup should be the... Read more »

Earthquake drill shakes students up

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion Editor
November 5, 2013
Filed under News

Students stood around Cerritos College's campus waiting for silence to signal the end of the annual “Great Shakeout” on Oct. 17 at 10:17 a.m. "The Great Shakeout" is a worldwide event that happens every year to ensure that people know how to react if an earthquake were to occur. Liberal... Read more »

Men’s Basketball season preview

Luis Guzman and Gustavo Olguin
November 1, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Men's Basketball, Multimedia, Sports, Video, Videos

Cerritos College Men's Basketball team is getting ready for the upcoming 2013-2014 season.

CHP uses Cerritos College radio to educate students

Gustavo Olguin
October 29, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

California Highway Patrol was added to the prominent list of guests that have appeared on “College Community Corner,” a radio show at WPMD. Gayle Parks hosts the show and tries to bring in guests that could help out the students that are walking around campus. “There is... Read more »

‘Meshing’ well heading into Battle at the Beach

Gustavo Olguin
October 24, 2013
Filed under Sports, Waterpolo

Team captain attacker Teresa Zuniga credits team chemistry for the women’s water polo team’s recent success as they go into their final outing of the conference tournament at the truWest Battle at the Beach tournament on Oct. 25 and 26. “I think our personalities finally meshed... Read more »

That’s what we said: School comes first

Gustavo Olguin
October 22, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Following the money Many students go to college to find a career in what they love to do. However, some of those majors do not make the money that is needed to cover the expenses... Read more »

Page 3 — Editorial — 10/16/13

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Print

Page 3 — Editorial — 10/09/13

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
October 9, 2013
Filed under Print

That’s what we said: Falling for fall

Gustavo Olguin
October 8, 2013
Filed under Blogs, Opinion

ObamaCare is great as long as you don’t get too comfortable ObamaCare will get started back up as soon as the government shutdown is... Read more »

Straight sets for strong start

Straight sets for strong start

Gustavo Olguin
October 8, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Volleyball

Setter Crissy Silavong’s team-high of 15 assists, along with five digs, led the way as the volleyball team cruised through Los Angeles Trade-Technical College in straight sets to take a 1-0 start in conference play. Cerritos College won each of the sets by at least 14 points and... Read more »

Questions posed of soccer’s relevancy

Luis Guzman and Gustavo Olguin
October 6, 2013
Filed under Soccer, Sports

Soccer in America is starting to become “mainstream” thanks to the success of the men and women’s national teams, as well as having youth leagues that promote soccer at a young age. Raul Avellaneda, the assistant head coach for the men’s team at Cerritos College said, “It’s... Read more »

Don’t get too comfortable with ObamaCare

Gustavo Olguin
October 6, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Starting Tuesday, President Barack Obama will finally be able to protect us from the high expenses of health insurance. However, this is not a reason to get complacent with how your current situation is. Obamacare is a government subsidized health care system that will allow adults to... Read more »

Miscommunication leads to loss

Miscommunication leads to loss

Gustavo Olguin
October 4, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Waterpolo

Sophomore center Catie Tuning emphasizes lack of chemistry as one of the causes for the women’s water polo team's 13-4 loss to Long Beach City College Wednesday, Oct. 2. “It was a hard loss, but we're trying to get back into the swing of it. We had some difficulties in the... Read more »

Around the world in 7 months

Gustavo Olguin
October 2, 2013
Filed under Audio, News

Jordan Leverette just recently got back from a 7 month trip to two foreign countries and is a student at the The Young American College of Performing Arts. She was part of two different groups that went to Japan... Read more »

Elbow Room possibly moving to new Liberal Arts building

Gustavo Olguin
September 30, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

Cerritos College Faculty Senate previously discussed in a meeting that the Elbow Room is going to be turned into a cybercafe and moved into the new Liberal Arts building. However, there seems to be a lack of awareness and excitement by the students and the employees of the Elbow... Read more »

Talon Marks: Page 3 — Opinion — 09/25/13

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
September 25, 2013
Filed under Print

... Read more »

That’s what we said: Technology vs Real World Expierence

Gustavo Olguin
September 25, 2013
Filed under Blogs

Embrace the technological advances Technology has found an amazing way to bring people together no matter what the barriers might be. The smartphone in your pocket... Read more »

Workshop helps put students on right path

Gustavo Olguin
September 24, 2013
Filed under News

Pamela Sepulveda, who presented a Feelings and Coping workshop on Thursday for the Re-entry Program, used a presentation that was geared toward teens, but made sure that is applied to college students also. Sepulveda said, “The importance of the workshop today is for you to feel empowered on how... Read more »

Fantasy Football is very real

Gustavo Olguin
September 19, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The season features people that don't play fantasy football and like to ask "what's the point if it's not real?" One, if you haven't played fantasy football, you do not know how real it can be. Two, this is something that must be taken very seriously in order to... Read more »

Ventura edged in thriller

Ventura edged in thriller

Gustavo Olguin
September 17, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Waterpolo

Freshman goalie Alfredo De La Mora led the Cerritos College men’s water polo team with 17 saves against Ventura College, winning the game 8-7, on Friday, Sept. 13 at Cerritos College. Cerritos started off the game with a 4-0 lead a few minutes into the first quarter, only to lose... Read more »

A fresh start to season

Gustavo Olguin
September 15, 2013
Filed under Sports, Waterpolo

With only two returning members, the strength of the 2013 women’s water polo team will be tested with four games this weekend at the American River Tournament. Head Coach Sergio Macias looks at it as a positive and goes on to say, “ It’s a brand new group, it’s a fresh start.... Read more »

Page 3 — Opinion – 09/11/13

Gustavo Olguin, Opinion editor
September 14, 2013
Filed under Print

... Read more »

That’s what we said: Parking good?

Gustavo Olguin
September 12, 2013
Filed under Blogs, Opinion

Paying for parking can be a good thing Paying that $40 helps Cerritos College get the resources that allow your car to be safe in the parking lot. It also allows for only the students attending the college to use the parking lot, so outsiders won’t take the parking spot... Read more »

Volleyball team feels good after scrimmage

Gustavo Olguin
September 5, 2013

The volleyball team got their four match scrimmage day rolling with matches against San Diego City College, Imperial Valley, Riverside and Santa Maria on Friday at the Cerritos College gym. After the first match, head coach Teresa Velasquez shared her thoughts on what she saw from... Read more »

That’s what we said: Opinion blog for week of 8/26

Gustavo Olguin
September 3, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Students should learn about school services With school still fresh to many students everyone needs to be aware of what help Cerritos College has available for them. All it takes is a trip to Student Services, the Counseling Office, or Career Services Center. An appointment... Read more »

Top 5 summer blockbuster movies

Gustavo Olguin
August 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

With summer vacation officially over at Cerritos College, here are the top five summer box office movies led by Gru in “Despicable Me 2” and rounded out by the unlikely duo of Bullock and McCarthy in “The Heat.” 1. “Despicable Me 2” topped the box office by making more... Read more »

Volleyball ready to face the competition

Gustavo Olguin
August 27, 2013

The Cerritos College volleyball team scrimmaged against former players at its alumni game on Saturday, August 24 at the gym in order to get ready for the fall season. Head coach Teresa Velasquez used this game to gauge how the team is coming along and said, “Well,... Read more »

Opinion of the Week

Gustavo Olguin
August 26, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Counselors are there to help you transfer and get your college career moving forward, but are there ways to make the counseling process more beneficial to both parties? Such as: degrees in specific fields, proper job training in technology, or an online communication system. All of these can have a... Read more »