Drag show participants strut on the catwalk

Gustavo Lopez and Carlos Holguin
May 5, 2014
Filed under Club News, News, Showcase

Diamond Bracamontes, psychology major, and stage name Dante Hardon, felt nervous backstage at the Drag King and Queen Show, but once she came onstage, she was inspired to put on a great show. The drag show took place on Thursday, May 1 at the Student Center. Although it faced a microphone malfunction... Read more »

Don’t let college kill you

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
April 16, 2014
Filed under Opinion

A few weeks ago, my life came to a halt when I got a phone call halfway through my day. I stopped typing up an essay for a class and decided that somethings are worth more than a good grade. A friend of mine had attempted suicide. The stress from school and life was a bit too much for them to handle. This... Read more »

One Minute Review: ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
April 14, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Video, Videos

Associate Arts Editor, Carlos Holguin, does a one minute movie review on 'Captain America: Winter Soldier.'

Review: ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ exceeds standards of superhero genre

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
April 11, 2014
Filed under Arts, Reviews

'Captain America: The Winter Solider' is a modern political spy thriller that not only exceeds the standards of movies from the superhero genre, but... Read more »

Scott Henderson performance preview

Scott Henderson performance preview

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
April 2, 2014
Filed under Audio, Audio-Podcasts, Multimedia

Student performers wish to impress students

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under Arts, Showcase

"We have some great talent around here," stated music performance major Jesus Antonio Rodriguez. "There are students our age who are playing pieces beyond their time. Students go on YouTube and see a 40-year-old man playing and say 'wow I wish I could play that.' Well we have people playing like... Read more »

FSZ: What is a life lesson you’ve learned from films?

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under Arts

What is a life lesson you've learned from films? Cristian Martinez, undecided major "Make your shots last as long as possible." From films. Jason Arias, firefighting major "Never give up," from Naruto Marycruz Licon, zoology major "Choose your own destiny," from Disney's Brave Rachael... Read more »

Film Club explores black and white genre

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
March 4, 2014
Filed under Arts, Editor's Picks

While the equipment for a day of filming was being set-up, film major and Film Club member Alexandra Cabriales looked over lines for the scene ahead. The scene was from the ongoing film project “The Papercup Caper,” a Film Noir spoof. Film Noir refers to a black and white film style from the... Read more »

Arts: Page 6 of the February 26, 2014 issue

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
February 28, 2014
Filed under Print

022614-6

Different sexualities should not be ignored

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under Editor's Picks

There seems to be a strange uncertainty when it comes to transgender students using the correct bathroom. An uncomfortable air from students who may not understand the concept of being transgender and students who identify with a different gender. Add to the fact that some trans students may identify... Read more »

FSZ: How do you deal with stress?

Carlos Holguin
February 4, 2014
Filed under Opinion

With students starting to deal with some of the first tests and essays of the semester, the stress levels can start to build up. To give students ideas of ways to calm down and make it through the month, we asked a few students here on campus what they did to calm down. Priscilla Quinones, nutritionist... Read more »

Students snub and praise Grammys

Carlos Holguin, Associate Arts Editor
January 28, 2014
Filed under Arts

Full of upsets and surprises, the 56th annual Grammy awards left some viewers, like biology major Jose Garcia, with a bad taste in their mouth. "Daft Punk should not have won album of the year," said Garcia. "They just didn't have a bigger year then they have had before." In addition to winning... Read more »

May 15, 2013 – Page 7 – Arts

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
May 14, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

May 15, 2013

Page 7

Talon Marks PageClick image to see full pdf.

May 15, 2013 – Page 7 – Arts

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
May 14, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

May 15, 2013

Page 7

May 15, 2013 – Page 6 – Arts

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
May 14, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

May 15, 2013

Page 6

May 15, 2013 – Page 6 – Arts

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
May 14, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

May 15, 2013

Page 6

Big plans for ‘Beautiful Pain’

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
May 1, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Up and coming artist Keaton Simons plans to tour the U.S. with his new album and spread his sound. Returning to the west coast after his time in Texas for the annual South by Southwest event (also known as SXSW), Keaton Simons has a brief period to rest before his CD release of his... Read more »

Big plans for ‘Beautiful Pain’

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
May 1, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Extraordinary director receives exhibit

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
April 29, 2013
Filed under Arts

The Los Angeles County Museum of Art shows acclaimed director Stanley Kubrick's personal collection to the public. Part of the growing collection of director's possessions to be offered to be viewed by the public, The Los Angeles County Museum of Art hosts a variety of items from and... Read more »

Extraordinary director receives exhibit

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
April 29, 2013
Filed under Arts

April 24, 2013 – Page 5 – Arts

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
April 23, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

April 24, 2013

Page 5

April 24, 2013 – Page 5 – Arts

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
April 23, 2013
Filed under Pages, Staff

April 24, 2013

Page 5

The dream is now to be screened at cerritos

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
April 10, 2013
Filed under Arts

Davis Guggenhiem's latest film, The Dream is Now, to be screened soon in the teleconference center. History major Daniel Flores spoke with excitement when he remembered how he got involved in the The Dream movement. “I went to a press conference in Downtown Los Angeles when... Read more »

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
April 10, 2013
Filed under Arts

Escape from Planet Earth falls short

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Hoping to ride on the success recent animated films, like "Brave" and "Wreck-it Ralph" director Cal Brunker and the Weinstein Company recently released the kiddie action movie "Escape from Planet Earth". Competing with the recent Die Hard and Nicholas Sparks films, Escape failed to... Read more »

Escape from Planet Earth falls short

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

‘Crysis 3′ (Podcast)

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Audio-Podcasts, Multimedia

"Crysis 3" podcast by Associate Multimedia Editor Carlos Holguin.

‘Crysis 3′ (Podcast)

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 27, 2013

‘Crysis 3′ is set to take gamers to a whole new level of experience

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Hoping to continue tradition of visually stunning and thrilling action games, Crytek recently released the long awaited "Crysis 3" on Feb. 19. Full of intensity and out-of-this-world graphics, Crytek promises a fun ride on its greatest Crysis yet. Taking place 24 years after... Read more »

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 27, 2013
Filed under Arts, Reviews

Pledge of allegiance is obsolete

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

At the beginning of each school day students ranging from kindergarten to high school seniors repeat an oath to a nation that has lasted hundreds of years. As touching as that may sound, these students have no choice in the matter which takes away any sincerity possible. The... Read more »

Pledge of allegiance is obsolete

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

A person is more than their aliments

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 12, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

People define students with disabilities or handicapped by their aliment instead of their character and personality. We forget that these students are just like us and face challenges in their every day lives and that needs to change. They often face ridicule or are treated... Read more »

A person is more than their aliments

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 12, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

Modern music has lost its voice

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 11, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

Despite the quantity of genres and artists available, the condition of the music industry is worsening. Musicians don't seem to care about what they're putting out on the air waves nowadays. They could care less about what the lyrics say and are focused instead on going platinum. Compare... Read more »

Modern music has lost its voice

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 11, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinion

Nintendo plans on bringing big names to the Wii U

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 3, 2013
Filed under Arts

Eiji Aonuma, producer of the Legend of Zelda series, recently gave Nintendo and gaming fans some exciting news about the future of the Zelda franchise for the Wii U console. "Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to re-think the conventions of Zelda,"... Read more »

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
February 3, 2013
Filed under Arts

Drowsy Chaperone aims to be a big hit

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
January 29, 2013
Filed under Arts

Drowsy Chaperone aims for high notes and big laughs this coming May "I love acting and musicals. I just want to get back into it and this is my chance." says theater arts major Natasha Lopez who is excited for the upcoming show, "The Drowsy Chaperone." Created by Lisa Lambert... Read more »

Drowsy Chaperone aims to be a big hit

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
January 29, 2013
Filed under Arts

Prisons should be more focused on rehabilitating

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
January 21, 2013
Filed under Opinion

It has been the said that the American dream is to be able to make it in this country despite the odds you face. However this dream seems to be lost on the unlucky souls in our jails and prisons. Inmates have always been seen as lost causes who are looked down on by the rest of society.... Read more »

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
January 21, 2013
Filed under Opinion

ASCC president and vice president have big plans for the rest of their term

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
January 18, 2013
Filed under Campus Events, Campus Life, Club News, Features, Governance, Misc. News, News, Student Government

As a new year and semester starts up, the Associated Students of Cerritos College is preparing itself for a full work load. On top of managing, organizing and financing the various activities at Cerritos College, the ASCC plans on strengthening the bond it has with the students on campus. "My... Read more »

Carlos Holguin and Carlos Holguin
January 18, 2013