Max Perez

Max Perez, Sports Editor

My name is Max Perez and I am a 19 year old student in my second year at Cerritos College. I am currently in my second semester as a member of the school newspaper, and this semester I am the Sports Editor. I chose to write about sports because it is my only interests, so a job where I only have to go to watch sports and then write about them is perfect. Im still not close to being an expert but i enjoy it so im going to keep at it.

All content by Max Perez

May 10, 2017 – Page 12

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

May 10, 2017 – Page 11

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

May 3, 2017 – Page 6

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

April 19, 2017 – Page 4

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

April 12, 2017 – Page 8

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

April 12, 2017 – Page 7

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

April 5, 2017 – Page 6

Max Perez, Sports Editor May 12, 2017

Coach Kodee Murray celebrates with her team and coaches after the Saturday, May 6 victory over Citrus College giving Murray win number 500. Murray is responcible for not only 500 wins but delivering a state championship in 2008. Photo credit: Max Perez

Murray hits 500 wins in playoffs

Max Perez May 9, 2017

Head coach Kodee Murray and her team celebrated in the outfield after the Cerritos softball team’s 9-1 victory over Citrus College Saturday. However, the team was not celebrating its advancement...

Talon Marks female athletes of the year

Max Perez May 9, 2017

1. Juanita Webster, heptathlete, Track and Field. Juanita Webster is probably the greatest female athlete to step onto the Cerritos College campus. Not only was she the heptathlon champion in the entire...

Talon Marks male athletes of the year

Max Perez May 9, 2017

1. Angel Rojas, Men’s Water Polo, Driver Rojas came into the 2016 water polo with more momentum than any other player. In 2015, he finished with 155 goals, 105 assists and 99 steals in 34 games....

The Cerritos softball team greets infielder Kylee Brown after her home run in the bottom of the third inning againt Citrus College Saturday, May 6. That home run moved Brown to 17 on the year. Photo credit: Max Perez

Cerritos powers past Citrus to advance to Super Regional Playoffs

Max Perez May 8, 2017

Pitcher Kristen Voller threw her second complete game in a row in two days with two wins to advance the Cerritos softball team past the Citrus Owls by a score of 9-1.Voller threw six innings allowing five...

Outfielder Ashley Melendez is safe sliding into third base during Game One of the Falcons three-game series with Citrus College. Cerritos capitalized on five Citrus errors that lead to seven unearned runs by the Falcons. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Falcons take first game against tenth seed Citrus

Max Perez May 5, 2017

The Cerritos softball team cultivated 14 runs off 14 hits in the teams 14-4 postseason victory over 10th seeded Citrus College on Friday, May 5. The team was led by catcher Briana Lopez and third basemen...

Fuck yeah, cussing is good!

Max Perez May 2, 2017

We’re all adults here, we should be able to use adult language whenever the fuck we want to.When two people are arguing, or debating you would expect the use language that, not only the other person...

Shortstop Ramon Bramasco prepares to fire a ball to first base after tagging second base to complete the double play. Bramasco was one of four Falcons to play all forty games and led the team in at-bats with 153. Photo credit: Max Perez

The Falcons baseball season ends with series split

Max Perez April 30, 2017

In the final series of the season, the Cerritos Baseball team split a two-game series with East Los Angeles College. The Falcons lost the first game 6-5 held Tuesday, April 25, but would come back to...

Starting outfielder Kimberly Olivas send a ball to center field during the fifth inning of the Falcons game with Santiago Canyon Saturday, April 22. Olivas is leading the team with 17 steals on the season. Photo credit: Max Perez

Falcons power past Santiago Canyon

Max Perez April 25, 2017

Starting pitcher Kristen Voller led the Falcons softball team to victory with her complete game against Santiago Canyon Saturday, April 22. Voller pitched all seven innings, allowing no walks, nine hits...

Starting center fielder Kimberly Olivas swings on a pitch during the second inning of the Falcons game with EC-Compton Thursday, April 20. Olivas finished with one hit and one RBI in the 7-0 win. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Cerritos Softball ready for postseason

Max Perez April 22, 2017

The Falcons hit four home runs from four different players in the teams 7-0 conference win versus EC-Compton Thursday, April 20. The victory completes the season sweep of Compton as the Falcons defeated...

Track and field preparing for conference championships

Max Perez April 18, 2017

Sophomore Juanita Webster has claimed another top mark in the Cerritos Falcons record books during the Long Beach State Invitational with a time of 13.82 seconds in the 100-meter high hurdles.This is the...

Sophomore infielder Kylee Brown fires a ball to first base for an out during the Falcons game with LA Harbor earlier this season. Brown has started at first base, second base and shortstop throughout the entire season. Photo credit: Max Perez

Softball races to postseason

Max Perez April 18, 2017

In the past eight games the Falcons softball team has hit 64 RBIs to help claim second place in the South Coast Conference. The Falcons have a 7-1 record over the past eight games, two of which were...

State title hopes derailed for tennis

Max Perez April 18, 2017

Men and women’s tennis are on different sides of the spectrum in the Southern California Regional Championships.The men defeated Orange Coast College in a 5-0 sweep to move on to round two of the...

Kendrick Lamar releases his fourth album; DAMN

Max Perez April 17, 2017

DAMN, every other album that's been released this year is irrelevant. It may be a bold statement, but the minute Compton City rapper Kendrick Lamar dropped his fourth official album titled DAMN, the whole...

Starting pitcher Gil Romero prepares to deliver a pitch to a EC-Compton batter in game three of the two teams series Saturday, April 8. Romero pitched seven innings allowing five hits for his third win of the season. Photo credit: Max Perez

Baseball bounce back with series sweep

Max Perez April 11, 2017

Cerritos swept last place EC-Compton in a three-game series to double its conference wins.The victory in Game One of the series on April 4 was the first win for the Falcons since March 11 and snapped the...

Sophomore Zach Munoz mid-stride during a pole vault attempt at the Southern California Decathlon Championship Wednesday, April 4. Munoz finished third overall in the event. Photo credit: Max Perez

[Photo] Munoz, relay teams stand out for the Falcons

Monique Nethington April 11, 2017

Members of the Cerritos College Board of Trustees, Student Trustee Karen Patron, Dr. Jose Fierro and Dean of Athletics Dan Smith gather on together at the site of the Health and Wellness Complex. The new building is set to be complete in June 2020. Photo credit: Max Perez

[Photo] The Health & Wellness Complex dug a mark

Natasha Molina April 10, 2017

Members of the Cerritos College Board of Trustees, Student Trustee Karen Patron, Dr. Jose Fierro and Dean of Athletics Dan Smith gather on together at the site of the Health and Wellness Complex. The new...

March 29, 2017 – Page 8

Max Perez, Sports Editor April 6, 2017

March 29, 2017 – Page 7

Max Perez, Sports Editor April 6, 2017

March 1, 2017 – Page 4

Max Perez, Sports Editor April 6, 2017

Catcher Adam Rubio swings at a low pitch to strikeout in the top of the third during the final game of the series with Long Beach City College Saturday. Cerritos would strike out six times as team throughout the game. Photo credit: Max Perez

Cerritos swept for third straight series

Max Perez April 3, 2017

The Falcons were swept by rival Long Beach City College in a three-game series, pushing the teams losing streak to nine.Cerritos has now dropped to 3-11 in conference play and are now fourth in the conference...

Brown takes state home run lead, Falcons lose to Vikings

Max Perez March 29, 2017

Sophomore infielder Kylee Brown is now leading the state in home runs after hitting one in each game against Southwestern and Grossmont.The Falcons defeated Southwestern 8-0 in five innings, then went...

Shortstop Ramon Bramasco dives for a ground ball down the center of the field in the eight inning of the Falcons game with El Camino Saturday. Bramasco finished the game with one hit in the loss to El Camino Photo credit: Max Perez

Falcons swept by Warriors; drop to 3-8

Max Perez March 28, 2017

The Falcons were outscored 22-7 in the teams three-game conference series against El Camino. The Falcons were swept for the second straight series and the team is now on a 6-game losing streak, putting...

Freshman Adriana Ross mid stroke during the 200-yard breaststroke at East Los Angeles College Friday, March 24. The women would lose to ELAC and Pasadena City College at the conference meet. Photo credit: Michael Cueto

Cerritos swim exits East LA winless

Max Perez March 28, 2017

Cerritos swim took a hard blow this weekend as the men and women’s teams came out winless against Pasadena City and East Los Angeles College. The team’s traveled to East Los Angeles where the...

Outfielder Kimberly Olivas saves a home run during the Falcons game with Los Angeles Harbor Thursday, March 23. Olivas finished the game with two hits and three runs. Photo credit: Max Perez

Brown’s home run streak continues

Max Perez March 25, 2017

With a home run in the fourth inning of the Falcons 18-1 victory over Los Angele Harbor Thursday, March 23, sophomore infielder Kylee Brown propelled herself into a four way tie for first in the state...

Second baseman Emma Wolff holding the base after she successfully stole second base in the bottom of the third inning in the Falcons Thursday, March 16 game versus EC-Compton. Wolff would finish with two hits and one run in the victory. Photo credit: Max Perez

Brown powers the Falcons past Compton

Max Perez March 18, 2017

A grand-slam by first basemen Kylee Brown in the bottom of the sixth inning ended the game early as the Falcons defeated EC-Compton 8-0 for their third straight win. Brown finished the game with three...

Starting pitcher Erick Velasquez prepares to deliver a pitch to a Pasadena City batter in the two teams Thursday, March 14 matchup. Velasquez suffered his first loss this season allowing three runs and four hits. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

The Falcons split three straight series’

Max Perez March 16, 2017

In the Falcons two-game conference series against Pasadena City the team totaled 33 hits and 27 runs.Despite the offensive success, the team only managed to win one game, marking the third straight series...

Starting catcher Adam Rubio rounds second on his way home after a RBI double by first baseman Jesus Mercado in the bottom of the fourth against Mt. SAC Thursday, March 9. Rubio and Mercado would finish with a combined four hits and four RBI. Photo credit: Max Perez

The Birds split a two game series

Max Perez March 11, 2017

The Falcons scored a combined 15 runs in the team’s two game conference series against Mt. San Antonio College. The team split the series with Mt. SAC, defeating the Mounties 7-6 on their home field...

Accounting club proved triumphant in the Falcon games decathalon

Max Perez March 9, 2017

The fifth annual Academic Decathlon ended with the Accounting Club walking away with first place and $200.The decathlon was held in the Teleconference Center, and is the first event of three, all part...

Starting pitcher Gilbert Romero prepares to deliver a pitch during the teams game against Rio Hondo Saturday, March 4. Romero pitched seven and a third innings allowing only one run and striking out three batters. Photo credit: Max Perez

Cerritos looking to find consistency after splitting series with Rio Hondo

Max Perez March 6, 2017

The Cerritos baseball team completed its first conference games against Rio Hondo, splitting the two game series. In the first matchup between the teams Rio Hondo defeated Cerritos 4-1 Thursday, March...

Sophomore outfielder Kimberly Olivas makes a diving catch in the top of the first inning for the third out of the inning. Olivas finished the game with two hits, three runs and one RBI in the Falcons win over Rio Hondo. Photo credit: Max Perez

Falcons bounce back, win big

Max Perez March 4, 2017

Designated hitter and relief pitcher Jissel Caballero led her team to victory against Rio Hondo with three hits, two runs and six RBI’s as well as closing out the game pitching the final two innings,...

Sohpomore pitcher Kristen Voller goes through her motions about to deliver a pitch against Cypress College. The loss against Cypress marked the second of the season for both the Falcons and Voller.

[Photo] Cerritos offense loses power

Max Perez February 28, 2017

Sophomore swimmer Isiah Gaytan mid stroke during the third heat of the 100-yard butterfly at the Golden West Invitational. Gaytan would not place in the 100-yard butterfly but would finish the invitational with an eighth place finish in the 500-yard freestyle. Photo credit: Max Perez

Cerritos swim hold their own

Max Perez March 2, 2017

Strong performances in both individual events and distance events led to the Falcons success at the men and women’s first invitational of the 2017 season. The men and women’s swim teams participated...

Falcons soar into postseason defeat

Max Perez February 26, 2017

The men’s basketball team’s season ended with a 79-67 defeat coming at the hands of Citrus College. The loss officially marked the end of the Falcons’ season as well as the second straight...

Freshman shortstop Ramon Bramasco high fives teammate Derrick Edwards after his fourth inning homerun against Santa Barbara. Bramasco finished with a game high three RBI’s in the teams win.

Young Falcons coming around

Max Perez February 24, 2017

Starting right fielder Micah Hee switched from the outfield to the pitching mound to record his first save of the season in the Falcon Baseball team 9-8 win over Santa Barbara. Hee entered the game...

Freshman forward Dezmon Murphy soars through the air for a dunk in the second half against El Camino. Murphy would finish with 14 points in the Falcons victory over El Camino Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Falcons’ basketball programs on different ends of spectrum

Max Perez February 20, 2017

In the final week of conference play the men and women's basketball teams ended on very different notes. Led by sophomore Christian Perez, the men defeated conference rivals Long Beach City and El Camino....

Women’s swim open up season

Max Perez February 16, 2017

The Cerritos women's swim team bounced back from scoring zero points in the Waterman Festival, to capturing second place at the Palomar Pentathlon. The Waterman Festival took place on Friday, Feb. 10 ...

Men’s swimming starts off strong

Max Perez February 16, 2017

The Cerritos men's swim team participated in its first meet of the season traveling to Palomar College to compete in the Waterman Festival and the Palomar Pentathlon. The team enjoyed success finishing...

Softball moving at own pace

Max Perez February 16, 2017

Sophomore pitcher Kristen Voller has been the starting pitcher for the Falcons in their last two games against Mt. San Antonio College and Pasadena City. Against Mt. Sac, Voller threw five scoreless innings...

Cerritos basketball gets revenge on LA Harbor

Max Perez February 13, 2017

The Cerritos men and women’s basketball team exacted revenge on Los Angeles Harbor as both teams came away with victories. The men were able to defeat the Seahawks 78-54 in their largest victory...

Falcons rally for late game victory

Max Perez February 10, 2017

Cerritos Women's Basketball team defeats LA Southwest 76-60 with the help of freshman forward Alexis Clark who captured her second double-double in a row.The Falcons captured their fourth conference win...

Guard Malik Smith drives past LA Southwest defender on his way to the basket. Smith would play 27 minutes in the Falcons 65-63 victory over Southwest. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Falcons depth shines in victory

Max Perez February 10, 2017

Freshman guard Riley Hamilton made his first start of the season in place of the injured Salvador Carlos to help lead the Falcons to a 65-63 victory over Los Angeles Southwest. Hamilton finished with 10...

February 8, 2017 – Page 6

Max Perez, Sports Editor February 8, 2017

Freshman guard Angie Ferreira attempts to drive past EC-Compton defender. Ferreira would finish with 10 points and three assists in the victory over Compton.

Women sweep EC-Compton

Max Perez February 7, 2017

Freshman forwards Alexis Clark and Crystal Rodriguez both captured double doubles in points and rebounds, combining for 38 points and 22 rebounds in the Falcons win over EC-Compton. Clark...

Sophomore guard Brian Nebo soars by the defense to finish a layup in the first half. Nebo would finish the game with 15 points and five rebounds before leaving due to an injury in overtime.

Falcons win in overtime depite injuries

Max Perez February 7, 2017

Despite losing starting guards Brian Nebo and Salvador Carlos to injury throughout the course of the game, the Falcons still managed to defeat the No. 1 ranked team in the conference.   Cerritos...

Job Search Workshop generates interest in few students

Max Perez February 5, 2017

"How bad do they want the job?" Randy Lee, a career counselor, said, "If they really want the job go to the job fair, see us at career services for a resume, interviewing and networking." Career services...

Sophomore Salvador Carlos jumps past the El Camino defense to get to the net during the Wednesday, Feb. 1 game. The Falcons would go on to win 95- 86

Falcons pull off late game comeback

Max Perez February 3, 2017

Starting sophomore guards Tyler Payne and Salvador Carlos combined for 40 points in the Falcons 95-86 victory over El Camino College. Aside from the performance from the backcourt every starter for...

January 25, 2017 – Page 6

Max Perez, Sports Editor January 26, 2017

Freshman forward Alexis Clark blows by LA Southwest defender on way to the basket. The Falcons beat the Cougars 54-44. Photo credit: Max Perez

The ‘Ws’ keep on coming for the Falcons

Max Perez, Sports Editor January 23, 2017

The Falcons traveled to LA Southwest College and captured their second straight victory putting them at 2-0 in conference play. The Cerritos women's basketball team beat the Cougars 54-44 in a game...

January 18, 2017 – Page 6

Max Perez, Sports Editor January 20, 2017

Freshman forward Dezmon Murphy attempts to weave through two defenders against EC-Compton. Cerritos would lose to EC-Compton 90-89.

Turnovers prove devasting for men’s basketball

Despite having a higher shooting percentage than EC-Compton, the Cerritos College men's basketball team could not overcome its 25 turnovers and fell 90-89 in the last seconds of the Wednesday, Jan. 18...

011817-3

[Photo] January 18, 2017 – Page 3

Benjamin Garcia, Opinion Editor January 20, 2017

Sophomore guard Kaylyn James blows by EC-Compton defender. James would lead her team with 20 points to a victory against EC-Compton.

Falcons take the win in first conference game of the season

Playing the first conference game of the season, the Falcons came out victorious against EC-Compton by a score of 65-36. The Cerritos College women's basketball team dominated the game from start to...

Falcons hope for late season turnaround

Max Perez January 20, 2017

The Cerritos College women’s basketball team is looking to overcome first half struggles to be succesfull in conference. The team finished tournament play with a 4-10 record, then lost three of its...

Falcons strive for iconic 2017 season

Max Perez January 16, 2017

The Cerritos College men’s basketball team hopes to turn the success it has had this season into a playoff berth. The Falcons concluded the first half of the season with a 13-2 record, winning three...

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (12) scrambles against the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL Divisional Playoff game on Sunday, Jan. 15, 2017 in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. (Richard W. Rodriguez/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Quarterbacks are a true value to NFL

Max Perez January 13, 2017

The modern day NFL quarterback has become a scapegoat for fans to concentrate all of their frustration toward the lack of performance from the whole team into one man. The criticism dealt to these players...

Freshman guard Alondra Calderon fights past ELAC guard Tiffani Martinez as she attempts to send a pass to teammate Angie Ferreira. The Wednesday, Jan. 11 game ended with 81-47 loss for the Falcons. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Falcons lay unresponsive against East Los Angeles College

Max Perez January 12, 2017

The Cerritos College womens' basketball team was dealt their second straight loss to the number one ranked East Los Angeles College by a score of 81-47. The Falcons have dropped to 5-12 on the season...

Freshman guard Angie Ferreira finished layup after receiving pass from guard Kaylyn James. Ferreira finished the game with 7 points. Photo credit: Max Perez

Women’s Basketball Captures Home Opener

Max Perez January 6, 2017

After a long stretch of tournament play to begin the season, the Cerritos College women's basketball team was finally able to play in front of their home audience for the first time this season. The...

New signs for gender neutral restrooms are voted upon at inclusive forum

Max Perez December 5, 2016

On Wednesday, Nov. 30 the Gender Neutral Restroom Forums held a second open meeting. Audience members who attended were given the opportunity to vote on the new signs that will be placed on the restrooms. The...

Men’s water polo falls early in playoffs, after strong regular season

Max Perez November 23, 2016

After a fantastic season in and out of the conference, the Cerritos men’s water polo team fell short in the SoCal Regional Playoffs by one goal to what head coach Joe Abing described as “a...

Mens water polo defeat LBCC, take conference title

Max Perez November 8, 2016

The Cerritos College men's water polo team added the title of South Coast Conference Champions to its list of 2016 season accomplishments. Saturday, Nov. 5 the Falcons were able to defeat Mt. San Antonio...

Men’s water polo breaks record in conference closure

Max Perez October 31, 2016

With the final confrence game played, the only thing left for the Falcons is the South Coast Confrence championship coming up this weekend. The men's water polo team finished the season strong with a 30-9...

Men’s water polo earns first 20 wins in the conference

Max Perez October 19, 2016

Cerritos and Mt. San Antonio, both undefeated in conference play , battled for the top spot in the conference on Wednesday, Oct 4. The game proved to be a shootout with the final score being 19-18 in favor...

I believe that public execution needs to come back and it should be for rapists. I feel like any kind of rape is wrong. You should have that person stand trial but at the same time if that other person is lying about it, they should be fined Photo credit: Monique Nethington

FSZ: How should we as a society deal with rape allegations?

Monique Nethington and Max Perez October 18, 2016

Blair Rucker, electrical engineering major"I believe that public execution needs to come back and it should be for rapists. I feel like any kind of rape is wrong. You should have that person stand trial...

From left to right Cerritos College Police Captain Hans Strand, title IX coordinator Valyncia Raphael, and Claudia Lopez addressing the crowd as she gives information about a trauma center. Lopez is a licensed clinical social worker for the Long Beach Trauma Recovery Center. Photo credit: Max Perez

Second Break the Cycle forum expands on the first forum

Max Perez September 30, 2016

The second session of the Break the Cycle forum was held on Wednesday to further spread information regarding sexual abuse and add additional information from the previous forum.The panel picked up right...

Cerritos adds two wins to the board

Max Perez September 29, 2016

The physical and mental toughness, as well as the depth of the Falcons attributed to their latest two victories. The team was able to pull out a 14-13 win against San Diego State in overtime, after being...

From left to right Chief of Campus Police Tom Gallivan, Director of Diversity, Compliance, and Title IX Coordinator Dr. Valyncia Raphael, member of District Attorney Office Brian Soo-Hoo, and Kristen Gardenhire, who works at the Long Beach Trauma Recovery Center, Gallivani discussed sexual abuse and how they handle it. Gallivani also discussed the resources the campus police provide. Photo credit: Max Perez

Break the Cycle event has a room full of students and faculty for first session

Max Perez September 26, 2016

Strong and sensitive material such as sexual abuse and sexual harassment were the topics of the Break The Cycle forum held on campus on Wednesday Sept. 21 in room FA 43. Students and faculty alike asked...

Pure focus on the season ahead

Max Perez September 20, 2016
Water Polo Team Keeping a Calm Head

Cerritos water polo has hot start to season

Max Perez September 13, 2016
After a jam packed first week, which included some cross country travel, the Falcons have landed themselves an impresive early season record of 7-1.
Linebacker Kijon Washington is being assisted off the field by Brian Cable and an assistant after suffering an ankle injury in Saturday nights game. He would later return to the game after recieving treament from the athleteic training staff.

Falcons football continue its early season struggles in home opener

Max Perez September 11, 2016

The Cerritos Falcons struggled for the second consecutive week at their home opener, losing to the Fullerton Hornets 31-19. The offense had problems in the passing game as evident by the combined nine...

Men’s water polo looking to build toward new beginning

Max Perez, Staff Writer August 30, 2016
Coach Joe Abing forgetting about last season is poised to make the most of this one.
Load More Stories
Max Perez