Local band looks to make it big

My Enemy’s Enemy, a local band featuring both current Cerritos College students as well as alumni, is looking to make a name for themselves in the music world.

The band, which was formed in 2009, specializes in playing indie music, as well as a Spanish rock style with English lyrics.

Their fan base includes residents of Downey, Norwalk, Lynwood and Bellflower.

Although each member has their own influence such as Goth, trance and electronic music, the band’s influences include the general sound of rock bands from the 1980s and the British Rock style.

The band frequently performs twice a month in the local areas that their fans originate from.

However, they have also played at popular venues such as the House of Blues in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd.

According to Manny Hernandez, the band’s lead singer and guitarist, the band’s name was inspired by the Academy Award-winning movie Slumdog Millionaire.

According to Hernandez, he got the idea for the name after hearing the statement, “The enemy of my enemy is my best friend,” in the movie.

Hernandez also goes on to say that most of the band’s songs talk about internal conflicts that people deal with on a daily basis, which in turn, connects to the band’s name.

“When I started writing, it was mostly songs about fighting within yourself; your thoughts are your worst enemy,” said Hernandez.

Cerritos College student, Ernesto Canales, the band’s drummer, is currently in his first year, majoring in Accounting.

His hobbies outside of school include tutoring High School and Junior High students in Math and English in the area of Bell Gardens, Huntington Park and Cudahy.

Canales has been in the band for 9 months and his influences include the bands Interpol, Bloc Party, and Dave Grohl, current member of both Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures.

In regards to his experience with the band, Canales said, “For me, being in a band is all about playing music. I love creating music and I love dissecting it.”

Ivan Pulido, the band’s bassist, graduated from Cerritos in 2006 with his A.A. in Liberal Arts and graduated from Cal State Fullerton in 2009.

Pulido joined the band 5 months after the band’s formation. Toledo’s musical influences include Twiggy Ramirez, current bassist for Marilyn Manson.

The band is currently planning on releasing a four-song demo on the first week of March as well as having two performances in Long Beach and Fullerton in the same month.

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief