LA Art Walk

Laura Chau
Santee (closer to the camera) and McPetrie (further away from the camera) discuss his painting, “Gangsta Chick,” McPetrie was a potential buyer

The stage was set at the Regent Theatre in Downtown, Los Angeles for a fine art exhibition hosted by students and instructors of the Cerritos College Art Department, on Thursday.

A total of 40 students contributed an estimated 100 pieces to the untitled show as a part of the LA Art Walk, an event held once a month in which galleries and businesses display works by local artists.

Gallery Row, comprised of more than 35 art galleries on Main and Spring Streets, attracts more than 10,000 visitors on the second Thursday of every month, as stated on the event website.

According to Hagop Najarian, Art and Design Department chair, this is the first time Cerritos students have exhibited works at the LA Art Walk.

“To remember this as a first opportunity to show is really great.  It’s such an inclusive venue to let in a lot of folks, and I’ve heard some [students] are selling their work, so that’s even better.”

Computer animation major Galileo Gonzalez was the only student to make a sale.

His piece, “Phase 2- Variant,” part of a three-painting series reflecting Gonzalez’ take on working the graveyard shift, sold for $125 to an individual who introduced himself as “Michael Scott.”

“It means a lot [to sell a piece] because it’s the LA Art Walk—enough said,” Gonzalez declared.

Despite receiving offers from prospective buyers, some students found it difficult to part with their works.

Graphic Design major Rousaint Rosales declined to sell his oil painting, “Gangsta Chick,” an experimental piece featuring the intricate detail of a tattoo on a woman’s back, relaying to the potential customer that the piece is  “unfinished.”

Tori McPetrie, first-time guest at the LA Art Walk, was drawn to the piece, because, “When you walked by it, it was like a snapshot.”

Despite going home empty handed, McPetrie took some time to discuss the piece with Rosales.

“Of all the pieces here, [‘Gangsta Chick’] felt the most personal.  Maybe the fact that it’s unfinished is what’s beautiful, because that allows you to fill it in.”

Along with their students’ works, faculty members also displayed their own pieces.

Painting instructor Rebecca Guzak contributed five of her own original works to the show.

“Not in Kansas Anymore,” a large-scale oil painting of the cast of characters from “The Wizard of Oz,” remains her favorite.

“I can’t sleep without it,” Guzak said, clutching her fist to her chest, “I think it’s like my masterpiece.”

Guzak created the painting after undergoing a “life-changing” surgery she says left her feeling “like a child.”

“It represents a ‘rite of passage’—no matter how long I worked on Dorothy, she just kept looking like me when I was a little girl.”

Aside from being proud of the students who contributed to the show, Guzak expressed gratitude to her pupils for scouting venues at which to host exhibitions.

Gena Linden, one of Guzak’s painting students, received a one-time offer from her brother-in-law, Robin Linden, contractor for Hansolo Building Services and owner of the building, to host an art exhibit.

Guzak relates, “First [Gena] came to me and asked me if I wanted to do it, and then she said it was such a large space, and I said ‘how about having all the students do it?'”

Guzak hopes to fundraise with her class and rent a spot on Gallery Row to be a part of future LA Art Walk events.

“I’d like to have a space down here all the time for students to work and display their paintings—that would be really exciting.”

If successful in reserving a site for a future show, Najarian has volunteered his band to provide entertainment.

“It would be great to have musicians here next time around; a free show is a great opportunity to show the kids what we do.”

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer