Student scared at halloween haunt

It takes psychology major Candace Rosales about a little less than an hour to undergo a spine-chilling transformation every October night.

Prior to wandering the halls of the Doll Factory maze at Knott’s Scary Farm, Rosales sits in the makeup chair for 30 minutes and takes another 10 minutes to put on her costume and emerge as a delirious doll.

Rosales is grateful that her experience in dance classes and as a part of the Repertory dance team at Cerritos College has paid off.

“I know how to move my body in a certain way, do weird things, like a character that runs around on the floor.”

Rosales’ inspiration to audition for the part came at a young age when she first attended the annual event and became addicted to the thrill of the fright.

“I went really young and was terrified, but I really had fun and wanted to go back every year.”

Her opportunity to audition for a part as a makeup position came three years ago when she asked the designer of the Doll Factory for a chance to show off her sinister skills.

With her mechanical and contorted moves, Rosales was able to impress, and terrify, the designer, and has been sneaking up on unsuspecting victims ever since.

Although she loves the adrenaline of giving a good scare, Rosales admits that playing a twisted toy is not all fun and games.

Aside from the stress that come with working a 40-hour week and attending classes, Rosales and the other maze monsters often put up with harassment from visitors.

Earlier this month, a 13-year-old boy groped Rosales and was kicked out of the maze.

Rosales recalls, “I really wanted to grab his ear and say, ‘Would you do that to your mother?'”

She ignores the comments and is willing to brave a night in the cold every year to wait in line for a rehire card that secures her spot in the event the following year.

For the moment, Rosales is not looking to be promoted to a street monster, since she is still in awe of the original “haunt monster doll,” who just moved up in the ranks.

“She is a legend at Haunt.  People still talk about her!”

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer