Artist Society and musicians collaborate

Martin Calderon
Students at Falcon Square looking over at art work made by Artists’ Society members for the first Spring art walk. Artists’ Society members collaborated with Music Club members for a drum circle at the event.

The Cerritos College Artists’ Society Club hosted its first art walk of the Spring semester on March 1 at Falcon Square.

The sidewalk was lined with more than 20 pieces of student art work created from several different mediums ranging from photography to oil on canvas.

Students, staff and visitors had an opportunity to see student artwork, get a henna tattoo, and join a drum circle from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Sitting on a grassy knoll directly behind the artwork were 10 to 15 percussionists making music with everything from a large plastic bucket to a full set of marching band drums and even bells.

Members of the Art Society Club were fundraising by selling Henna tattoos and tie-dyed T-shirts.

Falcon Square was crowded with on-lookers who took the time to analyze each piece of artwork or observe it in passing.

The art walk attracted students who were in between classes or done with class for the day.

Undecided major, Alex Fletcher, said “I stuck around to enjoy the environment.

“This is great, I came to check it out because I knew it would be a good vibe. You have art, music and everyone is in the same kind of spirit.”

Music education major Jennifer Ornelas describes how she became involved with the art walk, saying, “I’m actually a part of the Music Club.

The Art Society Club asked us to help them out with the drum circle because they wanted to get other clubs involved so we brought some of our own drums,” she said.

Ornelas mentioned that members of the Art Club and Music Club practiced together for two days for the drum circle.

Martin Calderon, Staff Writer