Drowsy Chaperone aims to be a big hit

Drowsy Chaperone aims for high notes and big laughs this coming May

“I love acting and musicals. I just want to get back into it and this is my chance.” says theater arts major Natasha Lopez who is excited for the upcoming show, “The Drowsy Chaperone.”

Created by Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison, “The Drowsy Chaperone” is the winner of five Tony Awards and numerous Drama Desk Awards.

First appearing on Broadway in 2006, the show has grown in popularity as it moves from venue to venue.

Set in the 1920s, this musical comedy pays homage and parodies the great productions of it’s time.

Packed full of laughs and crazy characters ranging from gangsters to up-and-coming broadway beauties, “The Drowsy Chaperone” seems like a perfect fit for the actors here at Cerritos College.

“The director is popular and so many students love him that I’m unsure that I’ll get in,” added Lopez, “It makes me just a bit nervous.”

Auditions will be held in the Burnight Center Theatre starting Feb. 11 and continue the next day, with callbacks planned for the 13th.

As is with most musicals, the actors and actresses will need to be ready to sing and dance to land the role they want.

Performances will be held the first and second weekends of May.

Tickets and more information about “The Drowsy Chaperone” can be found online at www.cerritos.edu/theater or by calling the Cerritos Theater Department at (562)467-5058.

Carlos Holguin
Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.