Season 23 of ‘South Park’ fights against Chinese censors

Photo by Getty Images
Characters from the cartoon T show South Park including Elton John rear with from L to R Kenny, Stan, Kyle and Cartman are featured in a 1998 episode

The 23rd season of South Park started back up again on Sept. 25, making audiences glad to be both a fan and to live in a country that allows satirical cartoons such as this to be aired.

The great thing about this show is that every episode is created within the span of six days, just so the creators can keep up with current events.

Just two episodes in and already, South Park is on point. From marijuana being corporatized, to corporations such as Disney and the NBA surrendering to the Chinese-government censors in order to gain access to Chinese viewers.

The season seems to have one continuous storyline following Randy Marsh, father of main character Stan, who has been up and coming on his weed farm “Tegridy” and business has been booming.

However, he wants to make more money selling his weed. So, he unknowingly begins to imitate big corporations here in the United States and tries to suppress the opposition by doing shady things.

He even tries to go to China get clearance from the Chinese government in order to get Chinese customers.

He goes as far as to strangle Winnie the Pooh for Disney, because in real life, some Chinese students began to poke fun at the current president, Xi Jinping, saying that he looked like the Winnie the Pooh character and have since banned the character from showing in any Chinese media.

Recently, news broke that Chinese businesses will be cutting ties and thus, China will be suspending it’s NBA’s Houston Rockets’ broadcast because of a tweet made by general manager Daryl Morey supporting the pro-democracy protest in China.

Morey went on to apologize for his tweet.

The creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone made an official statement and made a mockery of the suspension saying:

“Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our home and into our hearts. We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn’t look like Winnie the Pooh at all. Tune into our 300th episode this Wednesday at 10! Long live the Great Communist Party of China! May the autumn’s sorghum harvest be bountiful! We good China?”

This already has fans excited for the third episode of the season, which airs this Wednesday.

Promoting the idea that freedom is above money is an idea any can get behind, especially when it comes in the form of satire.

South Park is the show to watch.

David Jenkins
David Jenkins, Editor in Chief