Marvel Releases Shang-Chi & the Legend of Ten Rings

Simu Liu in the Marvel Studios film, “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.” Photo credit: Jasin Boland/Marvel Studios/TNS

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings, directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, is an action-packed sci-fi film about a martial arts master who embarks on a journey to confront his past once more and is drawn into an organization called the Ten Rings.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings has released multiple trailers to excite Marvel fans who are looking forward to seeing the first Asian Marvel superhero in action.

As a Marvel Cinematic Universe fan myself, I found the idea of Asian representation bringing more opportunities into the film industry for them-which is a huge win for Asian Americans specifically.

This specific MCU film is one of the first Marvel films out of the 25 total films to have a 98% Asian cast. An almost entirely Asian cast means more representation to show diversity, different ethnic identities and culture.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings has scored an impressive score of 93% on Rotten Tomatoes which is nearly a perfect score.

Critics are impressed by the amount of culture infused into this fantasy-packed film. Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings has a plot that connects to first generation Asian Americans as well as immigrant Asian Americans.

Compared to other Marvel films, Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is in parallel with most MCU films with incredible CGIs, a strong plot with character development and precise editing.

MCU film Black Panther along with Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings contain diversity within the cast and are tied to the original Marvel comics. Fans, myself included, are ecstatic to see the diversity within Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings create more progression in representing Asian Americans.

Black Panther, which is a Marvel fan favorite, ended up making $1.3 billion worldwide which made it the most successful MCU movie.

When comparing Black Panther to Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings, these films both show high expectations from the audience-which ended up being exceeded positively.

By viewing the multiple trailers for Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings, I’m very impressed by the casting, the storyline and details put into the movie.

I found in Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings to have an incredible amount of detail in the plot just by viewing the trailer which drew me into booking tickets to see the show.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings also features beautiful, saturated colors as main character Shang-Chi, played by Simu Liu, battles his past on a journey finding himself.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is rated PG-13 for mild to moderate profanity, frightening and intense scenes.

The upcoming movie, which is set to release Sept. 3rd 2021, has put its best foot forward by showing unique trailers months before the release date. I’m very excited to see this as it hits theaters from the sneak peeks of this diverse movie!

Fatima Durrani
Fatima Durrani, Opinion Editor
Fatima Durrani is the Opinion Editor & c0-online editor for Talon Marks. She is a Journalism major for Pre-law, and this is her last semester at Talon Mark before she transfers to a university. In addition to reporting, Fatima enjoys singing, editing photos, creating short films and reading poetry.