Film Club explores black and white genre

Flim Club Vice President Josh Craft views Film Club President Malory Padilla and film major Alexandra Cabriales throught the camera while preparing to film ‘The Papercup Caper.’ Photo credit: Carlos Holguin

While the equipment for a day of filming was being set-up, film major and Film Club member Alexandra Cabriales looked over lines for the scene ahead.

The scene was from the ongoing film project “The Papercup Caper, ” a Film Noir spoof.

Film Noir refers to a black and white film style from the 1940s and 1950s centered on crime-ridden dramas that usually follows around a detective or officer. This genre contained famous actors like Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

Cabriales plays a waiter in the film that fills in the role of the femme fatale, damsels who come to the detective for help or to seduce him. Her character is, however, unaware of this position.

“I’m actually just a very confused employee,” said Cabriales. “I saw the script and went ‘Oh, I’ll do this one.’”

Cabriales plays opposite Film Club president Malory Padilla, while vice president Josh Craft is directing the film. Padilla will be playing the role of the bumbling detective.

“The purpose of the club is to celebrate cinema by creating it,” said Craft.

The decision to make a noir film was not any one person’s decision though. It was the club’s choice according to architecture major Kevin Padilla.

“Every month we get a different topic and try filming something within that time.”

Previous works dived into both the horror and silent film styles such as ‘One (Miss) Direction’ and ‘Paperboy.’

Using their own equipment, including boom microphones and Cannon Rebel cameras. The club members will record the entirety of the film on campus with students from Cerritos. In addition to this, the film will be released in black and white just like the traditional noir style.

“It’s a very important part of American cinema,” stated Malory in regard to Film Noir. “ I want people new to film to see something aesthetically different then what you see today.”

‘The Papercup Caper’ is just one film the club is hoping to finish before the end of this semester. “We plan on making more films throughout the semester,” stated Craft.

The film will be released on club’s official YouTube page, Film Club Cerritos .

Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.